NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

MEL 15 CT10

Astroscot2

Its been an age since I last posted an image on the forum,  Ive been sorting out number of mechanical issues with my OO CT10 for what seems like years. Ive come to a point where I

Just want to get some images. This Image was taken over 3 nights in Nov,   36 x 10 mins thought the CT10 and ASA corrector  F5.6  1410 mm, SXVH694 and Baader Ha filter

Sat on top of the Mesu.  I had a nightmare sorting our my flats , Lights-Bias / flats -bias seem to do the trick.  I lost  around 2 hours of subs due to heavy frost. Will add OIII possibly next year .

Mark

mel15flic.tif

mel15web.jpg

Stunning! My guess is that the dashed diffraction spikes are due to the NB. Combined with other colours they will probably add up to rainbow spikes, showing the full diffracted spectrum.

In other words, only where the diffraction of 655 nm results in constructive interference will the spike be bright. Where the diffraction results in destructive interference the spike will be dark.

As I said, just a guess.

I learned this myself the other day! The striped spikes are indeed due to constructive/destructive interference of the narrow band light.

White light has too broad a range of wavelengths to produce the effect, the stripes are 'smudged' out

Very nice image! What kind of corrector did you use? Was the double vaned spider a change you did yourself? The diffraction spikes look very delicate. I like that a lot.

I can see some very small flaring in your bright stars. You can see traces of the main mirror Clips or possibly a turned down edge of the main mirror. Adding a baffle in front of the main mirror would thighten you stars even further.

Regards,

Pieter

Hello Pieter,

Thank you for your comments, The corrector is the ASA Quattro, unfortunately this amplifies the Fl to F5.6 but I can live with that, the double spider was

upgraded as the original was twisted and I was never happy with any adjustments I made to it,  TS provided the new spider. I still have some tweeking to do on the scope, spider is still slightly askew and as you say a mask for the mirror clips will improve the stars. A dew/frost shield is also on my list as you can see from the image below ;-)

thanks

Mark

IMG_20161124_232107467 (005).jpg

Archived