Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Collimators

I really need to buy a laser collimator, but I have a very limited budget.  There are a few generic ones for sale on eBay for around £15, anyone had any experience of buying these, and are they good enough to do a job for now? 

I would keep away from any at that price range to be honest-they generally need to be collimated themselves before you can use them. I would stick with a good old Cheshire. If you can't find one of them in your price range then nothing wrong with a home made collimation cap

Depends how precise you want to get! Fit astro photography then it really does need to be spot on in which case i high end laser would be the way to go but if you are just observing then yes a collimation cap will be fine. You can make them yourself if you like or buy online.

9 minutes ago, BeerMe said:

Are the collimator caps easy to use, and good enough to do a job for now?

They have them on FLO for a fiver, which would let me get a couple of other things :icon_biggrin:

Get a collimation cap, cheap easy effective. I have a 14" OO uk 1/10 dob, that's all I have used. Great. Make your own if you wish with an old 35mm film canisters with about 1mm hole dead centre. Look on net, at Astro baby collimation if need more of a guide how to use. 

Hope that helps ☺

9 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Get a collimation cap, cheap easy effective. I have a 14" OO uk 1/10 dob, that's all I have used. Great. Make your own if you wish with an old 35mm film canisters with about 1mm hole dead centre. Look on net, at Astro baby collimation if need more of a guide how to use. 

Hope that helps ☺

You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find a black 35mm film canister these days lol...Ive tried that route before ;-)

I think I'll go down the collimation cap route for now, thanks for the advice guys I didn't realise the ebay ones were so crappy!

16 minutes ago, BeerMe said:

thanks for the advice guys I didn't realise the ebay ones were so crappy!

The last cheap one I got it was in desperate need of collimation but when i started on that the screws rounded off at the slightest touch-when it comes to lasers always best to go expensive it not at all.

You should be able to get a cheshire on eBay for about £15 maybe, for a heritage 130p that's all you need really.  A cheshire will  give you a more accurate collimation that just the colli-cap.  I only got myself a laser when I gout an 8" newt and realised I couldn't reach the collimation screws on the primary whilst looking through the cheshire!

15 minutes ago, Lorne said:

Well, he meets the criteria of 50 mile radius of me ;)  but the OTA has to go too!!! :icon_biggrin:

Ach, even selling cheaper it would still be out of my price range ;)

Good luck with the sale ?

Archived