Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 7479 in LRGB

cfpendock

This little jewel is in Pegasus, around 105million light years away.  Lying fairly close to the celestial equator, guiding my deforked CPC1100 at 2800mm focal length was not so easy. 

20 x 5 minute subs for luminance, 12 or so each of RGB also at 5 minutes, gives around 4.6 hours total time from last night.  Of course more time would have given less noise and the possibility of pulling out more detail, but this was the first opportunity with clear skies for a long time….

Probably a tad over-saturated, but I’m not too unhappy with it.  Lots of other little galaxies in the frame.  Hope the file is not too big - it's an 8 bit PNG.  Comments, criticisms always welcome.

Deforked CPC 1100, Temma EM200 mount.

Chris

NGC7479.png

That's an unusual catch. Well done! More data is of course always better, but not always attainable. The only minus with this image would be the large stars, especially the one to the right of the galaxy.

Thanks for sharing

11 hours ago, wimvb said:

The only minus with this image would be the large stars, especially the one to the right of the galaxy.

Thank you very much, Wim.  Of course longer focal lengths do tend to result in larger stars.  But I have reduced the bigger ones as you have suggested, as well as reducing the green slightly which I noticed looked slightly different on this website.   I think it now looks better.  Thanks

Chris

NGC7479a.png

Thank you very much for all your replies.  Yes - there is indeed a line running down the side - I wasn't concentrating on that bit of the image!  In fact it is due to stacking different sets of subs - I didn't crop enough off....But thanks for pointing it out - its not so obvious on my screen.

I also notice a purple artefact in the top right right corner which I also did not see before....

Chris

I, too, love the galaxy. It's odd that SCTs give such indifferent stars - or so it seems. I have yet to run my second hand Meade ACF but its previous owner found this. Great galaxies, poor stars. Well, let's see what happens. Good to see the EM200 can handle it. I have one of those....

This is a darned good image in any event.

Olly

15 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Good to see the EM200 can handle it.

Thank you very much Olly.  Yes, The EM200 is pretty bullet proof, although this is about the maximum load (around 15kg) I would like to put on it.  Although it is a few years old, I believe that it has the the bronze gears rather than the plastic ones they used to use.

I have compared images from my Tak FSQ to the SCT, and at the same image scale, the Tak easily outperforms the SCT on the stars.  But just sometimes the longer focal length is useful.  And for visual I would argue the Celestron is hard to beat.

Chris

Archived