Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC6888 - Synthesised colour and narrowband

NickH

Two nights on this in H-A and OIII, then synthesised the blue channel, and played with all sorts of colour combinations, ended up trashing the OIII data in the process (but had images in CS2), but hey ho..

Anyway, this is the first light shot for my new Atik 314L, adding to the previous H-A posting I made, this one is cropped as the alignment was out for the two nights, and I have aimed for something a bit more "off the wall" colour wise..

Possibly will redo it if I can recover the OIII data (or maybe just reshoot it, and add maybe some H-Beta or SII?), as I think it's a tad overcooked on the Noels Actions (Noel has been helpful with some new tips)

Anyway...not bad for an 80mm scope I guess

ED80 at F7.5,. Atik 3124L, DSI-C guide cam using PHD on the EQ6.

Astronomik 13nm H-A and Lumicon OIII filters

Compressed and reduced for upload

7402_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Its a fascinating image, Nick and some great detail in there. Sometime I am going to experiment with Ha, SII and OII imaging and then combine the resultant channels in the necessary percentages to produce 'true' colour images - I have done it with test data and it works very well despite being fiddly.

But, back to your image, there really is a lot of stuff in there despite your problems with the OIII data (hope you can retrieve it!) and you've certainly got in close with the 80ED, I imaged this object with my ED80 and M25C a few days back and the Crescent was tiny in my FOV!

Great image.

Crikey Nick, that looks like a living entity. The colours are unfamiliar going on what I've seen, but strangely enough, it doesn't look out of place. It's a great looking object for sure, and it would stay that way if it was in Mono in my book.

Ron.

did u add Ha O[iII], or average or scale. Thats what I was meaning, sorry if I want clear. Is this Noels actions....i havent seen or used them yet, are they good?

You can synth blue using 0.34*Ha +O[iII], thats what richard crisp uses. The 0.34*Ha is meant to represent Hbeta 0.34=1/2.92, the ratio of emission probability between Ha and Hb.

See how that works

It has worked quite well for me with the veil

Hope this helps

Paul

:-)...and a few more...

But thanks for the tip, I did use Noels actions, but then re-tweaked the colour, as this version did look quite pleasing on the eye

Thanks for the feedback everyone

Archived