Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Autoguiding on Linux with Opticstar PX125C

billyharris72

Hi all:

I've just purchased an Opticstar PX125C with the aim of getting started with guiding (planning on using phd2). I'm running Linux (Ubuntu) and am struggling to get the camera connected to the PC. I'm assuming that I need to install the correct drivers, but have no idea where to start with this, as I've never used a dedicated astrophotography or guide camera before. Can anyone out there advise on potential options for getting the camera up and running?

Thanks,

Billy.

There doesn't appear to be any Linux support for this camera listed on the website. Unless the manufacturer either provides a driver or releases sufficient information for the open source community to develop one independently, it's unlikely that you will be able to use it with any existing software. You may be able to guide using Windows software in a virtual machine if you have an available license. I found good success running PHD Guiding in Windows 7 under VirtualBox, however I was completely frustrated in all attempts to communicate with an SBIG camera in the same environment.

That was my suspicion, but thought I'd check to see if anyone was aware of a workaround. Not having much luck with Wine and I suspect that sharing usb with a Virtualbox Windows will struggle (don't even see an entry when I run lsusb). May go for a dual boot option. Billy.

Archived