Revelation 30mm

popeye85

Pretty decent in slow scopes (eg: F/10) but show plenty of astigmatism in the outer 50% of the field in faster ones.

For their price though, you can't expect much more. They are better finished than the stock eyepieces.

I have the 20mm and 32mm which I use in my 10" f4.8 newt and I am delighted with them. Mind you I have not had the chance to try any top end EPs so I can't compare them. Overall I am very happy with the quality of all Revelation products.

1 hour ago, D Wright said:

I have the 20mm and 32mm which I use in my 10" f4.8 newt and I am delighted with them. Mind you I have not had the chance to try any top end EPs so I can't compare them. Overall I am very happy with the quality of all Revelation products.

Are those the Revelation plossls or the 70 degree 2" super wide angle Revelation eyepieces ?. I think the original poster is interested in the 30mm 70 degree 2" eyepiece which has a different optical design to the plossls.

With their 50 degree field of view plossls are not tested so much by faster scopes as the super / ultra wides.

5 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

I'm pretty sure these are GSO

gso.jpg

Newer GSO eyepieces don't have draw tube safety undercuts. Most Celestron and Orion Plossls are GSO. They're perfectly good for the money. 

The GSO / Revelation plossls are pretty good but the thread is about the 70 degree 2" GSO / Revelation "super wides" which do suffer from issues in faster scopes. I found that the 42mm and 50mm even show some edge astigmatism in an F/10 SCT.

13 minutes ago, John said:

The GSO / Revelation plossls are pretty good but the thread is about the 70 degree 2" GSO / Revelation "super wides" which do suffer from issues in faster scopes. I found that the 42mm and 50mm even show some edge astigmatism in an F/10 SCT.

Oh right sorry, I was just commenting on the overall quality of GSO eyepieces in general and didn't make myself clear. A lot of people don't realise that Revelation eyepieces are very frequently GSO as they are often cheaper than other branded GSO EP's. When in fact, they just have Revelation written on them instead of something else. There can be quite a difference in price between Orion, Celestron and Revelation EP's sometimes, when they're virtually the same eyepieces.

I'm pretty sure you're right about some of the issues the Super Wides suffer from. I suppose it's like the old joke about wide angle eyepieces; you can have an excellent issue-free wide angle eyepiece or an inexpensive wide angle eyepiece, but you can't have both lol.

The Revelation eyepieces you flagged up aren't bad, but as John said, much of the 70 degree field won't be pretty if your scope is less than F8 or F9 - what scope are you using?

I believe this eyepiece is much better: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p2254_GSO-2--RK-Okular---32mm---55----maximaler-Lichtdurchlass.html

I have owned all 3 of the eyepieces in this range and I think the 32mm is the pick of the bunch. Why?

• Based on your preferred use, ie DSOs, what you need is transmission and contrast. I was astonished by the contrast and transmission on this eyepiece. Although an old design (Reversed Kellner), it only has I believe 3 elements, so minimal light loss or absorption by extra lenses. I found the contrast (blackness of the sky background) to be exceptional for the price.
  • The field of view is "only" 55 degrees, but most of that is perfectly useable, and I found the views much more satisfying than with the Revelation 70s, which in my opinion are "pushed" too wide for their quality.
  • The price isn't so far from the Revelations, although the pound has dropped since Brexit, but still good value, I feel.
  • The long eyecup makes the eyepiece very comfortable to use: although the eye relief is quite long, the eyecup allows you to get your eye right up to the top of the rubber eyecup and blocks out stray light well. 

If you like the 32mm, you will also like the 42mm for very low power views: however, being so long a focal length, the sky background (blackness) will be lessened, so you will see DSOs and faint stars better with the 32mm.

I personally wouldn't bother with the 26mm as it is so close to the 32mm which I feel combines actual sky area shown with contrast to best effect.

TS Optics in Germany are a large, reliable supplier and quite fast on delivery - 4 or 5 days.

Good luck!

Dave

Hi..I bought all 4 in the set when I finished my 14" f/5 scope 10 years ago, which was my first scope that had a 2" focuser. They were the cheap way into 2" widefield observing. I was very disappointed with the edge of field performance, which didn't get much better with a paracorr so it's all down to the eyepiece. The 42mm seemed to be the best of a bad bunch and at least made a credible finder eyepiece. They're ok at f/10.

I quickly gave up with them and went down the slippery addictive wallet-emptying green and back slope, but at least the views were in a different league. 

YMMV, RL. 

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

The Revelation eyepieces you flagged up aren't bad, but as John said, much of the 70 degree field won't be pretty if your scope is less than F8 or F9 - what scope are you using?

I believe this eyepiece is much better: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p2254_GSO-2--RK-Okular---32mm---55----maximaler-Lichtdurchlass.htm 

Cheers fit that f15rules. I will be using it on a revelation 8"Dob which is a f6. 

Looks good but the only thing that would make me hesitate is the 55°afov. My scope has a FL of 1200 so (please feel free to check my maths!) This will only Providea 1.1°fov and to be honest I was aiming more for the 2°. Is this possible to achieve on a budget?

For a 2 degree true field of view you will need a 30mm 80 degree eyepiece. You can get these for around £60 but the problem is that these low cost ultrawides used in an F/6 will show a lot of edge distortion. There is really no escaping this from my experience. So on a limited budget the choice is either to get a low cost ultra wide and accept that the stars in outer half of the field will increasingly not be star shaped but more like seagulls OR compromise the field size and get better defined star images across more of that field.

Agree with John, your scope with 1200mm focal length is not a wide field scope, a low power EP is more as finder EP and large exit pupil for nebulas. I'd like to think this one (not mine) is among the best you can get if still available, costs just a little more than the superview

This demo ex costs is an option too:

http://www.bresser.de/Sale/Ausstellungsware/Explore-Scientific-Maxvision-68-Okular-28mm.html

Or the 34mm one ( a lot bigger heavier though)

http://www.bresser.de/Sale/Ausstellungsware/Explore-Scientific-Maxvision-68-Okular-34mm.html

6 hours ago, popeye85 said:

I'm not expecting much tbh? Is it worth the money or is it worth getting something else at roughly the same price?

.........Only you can tell, but you should expect the best, no matter what you pay!

I have a similar scope and use 60° ED Starguiders with their  60° afov and TeleVue Delos 72° afov.
To be honest, from my observatory,  the image details are the same ( according to for my eyes, and light polluted garden ) and for  the slightly wider field of view, I really don't think the extra expense of the Delos is essential for my needs, considering  the results produced from the EDs. That said, from a darker site, the Delois may have  better light transmission,  possibly better detail, and possibly  less visible coma, if your looking for it?
I have found a fresh new site  :icon_biggrin: in which I hope to make some more tests soon,  in order to prove to myself their  worth  on my present scope, although these eyepieces were  actually bought for a specific scope faster than my present scope?

So far I'm happy with my 60°  Starguiders and my Revelation Plössls for  this scope. Trial and error is what it takes.

Archived