M 45 widefield at 70mm.

My first for a couple of weeks, at least!

An hours worth of 5 min subs, iso 1600, 70-300 zoom at 70mm, 1200D modded, F5.6, DSS and PS. Tracked on an EQ5 Pro.

The seeing wasn't great but I was glad to get anything really. A learning point for me last night was to take BBC Weather and Clear Outside forecasts with a pinch of salt. Both said 100% cloud cover all night. Had I set up at dusk I would have have quite a few hours of imaging but as it was, I managed to get some from 11.00pm till about 2.00am. 

M45.png

Yes, exactly the same for me. I was looking at the weather forecast this afternoon when at 6 it completely cleared up. I did not spot a single cloud all night!

Nice image. I have been thinking about wide field imaging for a long time but never got round to actually doing it. I have a 75-200mm lens - would that do widefield nicely?

Thanks seb

4 minutes ago, Galatic Wanderer said:

Yes, exactly the same for me. I was looking at the weather forecast this afternoon when at 6 it completely cleared up. I did not spot a single cloud all night!

Nice image. I have been thinking about wide field imaging for a long time but never got round to actually doing it. I have a 75-200mm lens - would that do widefield nicely?

Thanks seb

Have a go!

I am finding that 70mm is quite a nice focal length, however for milky way shots, they are better with shorter lenses. I have a 50mm which is very nice and also a 15-85 zoom that I use for wider fields of view. I think that what is good about widefield is that gives other uses to existing gear and it is also much quicker and easier to set up, at least it is for me...

Tim. 

1 hour ago, StargeezerTim said:

The seeing wasn't great but I was glad to get anything really. A learning point for me last night was to take BBC Weather and Clear Outside forecasts with a pinch of salt. Both said 100% cloud cover all night. Had I set up at dusk I would have have quite a few hours of imaging but as it was, I managed to get some from 11.00pm till about 2.00am. 

Tim I fully agree, had decided it was a no go last night, then looked as it started to darken and set up, had a great night last night visual here in South Essex.
A lot of dew formation though.
Top tip......close your eyepiece case, don't leave it open on a dewing night, doh!!

Archived