Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Printing Astro-images

Not sure if this has been asked before, if so I do apologize. I am looking to get some 4000x3000 mm prints done of some of my astro-images for the Hub wall. Can anyone recommend a good online print service. I have used Vistaprint in the past but was not happy with results. 

Cheers

Andrew

I use Loxley and people are pleased with the images that they print.

I think if I was printing for myself, I'd find a small local printers, take in my laptop and get the printing calibrated just right. I've found that if you do it as an online service the images rarely come out how I see them on the laptop screen.

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

I use Loxley and people are pleased with the images that they print.

I think if I was printing for myself, I'd find a small local printers, take in my laptop and get the printing calibrated just right. I've found that if you do it as an online service the images rarely come out how I see them on the laptop screen.

I print my own conventional images and still often will re-print until I get it right, despite using a colour managed workflow and having a calibrated screen. There are a lot of variables involved, so it's a wonder on-line suppliers can ever provide you with what you want, so Sarah's advice I think is sound. I haven't printed any of my astro images yet; one day I'll get one worthy enough to print :icon_biggrin:.

A good professional printer will include a proof print before committing to the final one. Doesn't come cheap though. If you Google "Giclée Printer" or "Fine Art Printer" you'll hopefully come up with a few of the more professional outfits.

Ian

If your sizes are correct, I'm guessing you are going to have to look at a company which prints billboards? Don't know if they're any good, but Copy-Top seems to do this sort of work in France and has a large number of branches in Paris, Lyon, Marseille etc. http://www.copytop.com/impression-affiche-grand-format

In England, you might look at http://www.wideformatwarehouse.co.uk/printing-services.asp

I can't recommend a printer, but just a suggestion - it might be worth contacting someone at the Royal Greenwich Observatory. I believe they generate large prints for the Astro Photographer of the Year exhibition, and that printer clearly knows how to handle astronomical imagery. RGO may be able to tell you who they use. Though as Mick points out, that's a mighty big print and I'm not sure they display at that size!

N.

When we were in France a few years ago we drove by chance into La Gacilly in Brittany, huge pictures everywhere and a happy few hours passed.

Link here and here   I cannot remember the quality but can remember being stunned by the presentation.

Not very helpful but we are lucky to have the Oxford University Museum of Natural History just down the road, nice pictures of insects on the ground floor,  Link here and here, the film in the second link justifies this slightly off topic post.

Edit:  stopped the film at the plug and found another link - here        I can't help thinking that Gina would knock up a giant printer in her living room, another project ?

Archived