Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An attempt of the great orion nebula

N3ptune

Hello, this is a sketch I did last evening of the Great Orion Nebula! (Which I am really happy to see again)

For my first observation of Orion this fall I did this: Using my 8" newton tube, with 55x magnification and using a Nebula NPB filter. (Incredible filter)

I hope it will bring back good memories of this beautiful object.

GKKRZIi.png?1

15 hours ago, alan potts said:

Nice sketch, it has got to be the best sight in the sky with modest equipment, the swan is very good as well.

I agree, it's great with small instruments, no mistake there. It was great with 130mm and now it's even better with 200mm. It must be breathtaking with 12, 14, 16 inches!

With my actual instrument, I can even see texture in the middle (not well represented in my drawing)

But I want to do a sketch of this nebula again, when the constellation is higher in the sky  (from this drawing the nebula was at about 40d from the ground) and maybe put more time on the next drawing, more efforts and try to level up for once.

Hi again,

I did a practice today.. copying an astrophotography just for the sake of  doing something to get better at the real thing. There is not much merit here but it was a great study of the gas cloud and actually enough hard to draw with details.. So again not perfect but more contrast provided by the camera, we will see in 20 years.

gVIvey3.jpg?1

And pencils is your prob with neb a set of white to black charcoals would do wonders ,your rendition from your pic is brill for a imagers point of view 

i find white charcoals work wonders for sketching  nebs heres what i mean with a pic see below  if you  using pencil that are the blend type ones are fine ,but they are exspensive give some white charcoals a go with a bit of cotton wool you can put a shape down easier and to me looks like neb whispy like ?

pat  

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, todd8137 said:

And pencils is your prob with neb a set of white to black charcoals would do wonders ,your rendition from your pic is brill for a imagers point of view 

i find white charcoals work wonders for sketching  nebs heres what i mean with a pic see below  if you  using pencil that are the blend type ones are fine ,but they are exspensive give some white charcoals a go with a bit of cotton wool you can put a shape down easier and to me looks like neb whispy like ?

pat  

Well I will try the charcoals eventually but I want to continue with the pencils for the moment, I like the feel of it and it's possible to push the sophistication. 

Thanks for the suggestion again.

• 2 months later...

Archived