Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 1333 (The Balrog Nebula): LRGB

Rodd

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

By warmer I just meant easing the red-blue balance towards red. I'd probably do that by lowering the gamma point in blue and raising it in red very slightly (done in Levels). I think the version above has been overdone because it's taken you into color noise but the direction was the right one (meaning no more than it was to my taste.)

Olly

I'll have to look into which tool is comparable to "Levels"  But I agree on the result.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

One thing's for sure, Rodd, I will be reprocessing my own version after admiring yours.

Olly

:icon_biggrin:...Then that will be the benchmark I'm sure.  Can't wait to see it.  

I really like this image and when I was going through the thread I pressed like on all three of them (i.e. it was getting better and better), so I need to clarify that I like that last one the most with the warmer tone suggested by Olly. I hope you figure out how to reach that warmer tone through "proper" processing.

Congratulations!

46 minutes ago, gorann said:

I really like this image and when I was going through the thread I pressed like on all three of them (i.e. it was getting better and better), so I need to clarify that I like that last one the most with the warmer tone suggested by Olly. I hope you figure out how to reach that warmer tone through "proper" processing.

Congratulations!

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Don't bank on it! I had trouble getting the colour separtation that you have between background and dust.

Olly

Thanks Gorann.  How about this one?  I made very very slight adjustments to R, G and B in curves.

LRGB-3-HR-LBG.jpg

Rodd

I wanted to say that I think this is a great effort.  I saw your Iris post a few days ago, and thought that was a bit 'overdone' if you don't mind me saying so (but that is my taste - YMMV).  But with this you seem to have got it just right.  Congrats - a real success.  For what it is worth I like v1 and this latest v4 version best.

Steve 

12 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Rodd

I wanted to say that I think this is a great effort.  I saw your Iris post a few days ago, and thought that was a bit 'overdone' if you don't mind me saying so (but that is my taste - YMMV).  But with this you seem to have got it just right.  Congrats - a real success.  For what it is worth I like v1 and this latest v4 version best.

Steve 

Thanks Steve--I am trying very hard to curb my tendency to over do things.  

1 hour ago, gnomus said:

Rodd

Steve 

Me too. It's a stunning image, but v1 and last (4?) are my favourites.

It's veery close. I opened both images in their own tab. Side by side, nr 1 looks ever so slightly too cool. By comparison, nr 4 looks ever so slightly too warm/red. In the end, the scale tipped in favour of nr 4.

29 minutes ago, wimvb said:

It's veery close. I opened both images in their own tab. Side by side, nr 1 looks ever so slightly too cool. By comparison, nr 4 looks ever so slightly too warm/red. In the end, the scale tipped in favour of nr 4.

Thanks Wim-- I suppose tweaking is never really over....

44 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Here you go Wim--I did it right--I masked off the background and bumped up the warmth only in sections of the dust--as close to a midway point between #1 and #4 as I can get and still visually see a difference.  Does is usurp #4?  

LRGB-3-final.jpg

Hi Rodd

This image really shows the progress you have made (once again) and you have captured a lot of dust and also detail within NGC1333.  LRGB of dusty regions is hard.  Your pleasure (& pride) in the image is a joy to read.  Well done.

If it was my image, I would still be reigning back on the histogram reducing the brightness of the image, but this is a subjective judgement.

7 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

The more I look the more I see, very nice, am I seeing dog head botton right  about 2" and 2" in

Not sure--but I see a raccoon (North American racoon) head clear as day in lower right cornner

4 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Hi Rodd

This image really shows the progress you have made (once again) and you have captured a lot of dust and also detail within NGC1333.  LRGB of dusty regions is hard.  Your pleasure (& pride) in the image is a joy to read.  Well done.

If it was my image, I would still be reigning back on the histogram reducing the brightness of the image, but this is a subjective judgement.

Thanks Barry....I am slowly reigning in my tendency to overdo.   I thought I was pretty frugal with the stretches, but I think you are right.  There is such a fine line sometimes between too much and just right.

46 minutes ago, strutsinaction said:

Also, bear in mind everyone's monitor is different :smiley:

For me, #1 is still my favourite but I think we are all agreed this is one cracking capture/processing. Keep it up!

Regards
John

Thanks John...and you are correct.  My 2 monitors vary markedly.  My 4K processing screen always looks so much better than my old desktop beast.

Archived