Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

For those with a Vixen Porta11 Mount; this maybe of use to you!

Cjg

I've had a Vixen Porta11 mount since July last year; I wanted something portable and of decent quality to hold my Tak 76.

To and from the observatory at Seething it lays vertically across the back seat of my Mini (seat folder down). Setting up last night, it seemed looser than it should. I discovered in the light of the club house that one of the top leg sections (where it attaches to the top of the mount) had become very, very loose. I've linked to my YouTube video I took with my phone, showing exactly how loose and the location.

Vixen Porta11 mount - wobbly leg

If you have one of these mounts, I'd urge you to give yours a once over before you next take it out to use.

I'd welcome any suggestions about how I can secure the bolt from working loose again.

Thanks,

Chris

I bought a second hand one back along.  Your right, a check over every now and then is essential, lots of the bolts work loose not just the ones you point out.  I thought maybe a spot of loctite on the threads may help out, and its easy to crack off if you need to remove the fittings. 

Hi Robin,

Fortunately, at the clubhouse, we have a "tool draw" which had the correct size bolt (it's larger than the ones supplied with the mount) and so I tightened it up. A temporary fix, so am grateful to @jabeoo1 and @Dr_Ju_ju for their input and advice. 

Thank you,

Chris

Thanks for this tip and awareness of this issue, after last night I also have a problem with my Vixen Porta Mount tripod as one of the T knobs for adjusting / tightening the legs needs replacing as the plastic knob is cracked. If its OK to ask on this thread as I was going to start a new one, could I ask if anyone knows which size bolts these are as I think I should be able to get a set of replacement from Astro boot?

Thanks

Hers a picture of the damaged bolt.

P1060824.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2016 at 13:55, Cjg said:

I purchased mine from First Light Optics, maybe your supplier could help, failing that Pete Granby (?) of Opticron the importer has been excellent https://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/ is their site, contact details on the base.

Chris

A bit belated, but I did manage to get the bolt replaced, Steve at FLO got in touch with Opticron and a replacement arrived (at no cost) two days later so yes very good service, cheers.

Archived