SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Hyperion 13mm eyepiece for SCT and other scopes?

jonathan

I am seriously looking at this Baader Hyperion 68 degree 13mm eyepiece as a high power for my SCT and in-between power for my 150P Skywatcher newtonian and the refractor, seems like a good solid eyepiece that should work in all of my scopes, even if the 'quality' is more than is necessary for the SCT.  I have a 10mm but often that is unusable in the SCT due to sky conditions.

Thoughts?

The Hyperions work great in the F/8-F/10 range and slower but start to show astigmatism in the outer parts of the FoV from F/7 and faster. Quite a bit of astigmatism at F/5.

I reckon the Explore Scientific 68 degree range are quite a bit better in faster scopes for around the same price.

I own that 13mm Hyperion; it's very transparent and reasonably sharp, with very mild pincushion distortion. It does give good medium-high views in my 127mm Schmidt-Cass (96x at f/10 of course). It defends itself pretty well in my f/5 dob, but only because its 68° don't embrace that much field, it's also good in my f/6 and f/7.5 refractors.

What's the catch? Well, I bought it mainly for the sizable discount offered at that time, and I think its geometric quality (squares remain squares, straight lines remain straight lines) is obtained at the expense of its optical quality (overall sharpness, especially in the outer portion of the image disk).

I have not tried all the focal lengths in the Explore range but given the two I own, and their reputation, I'd say forget the Hyperion; for about 20 dollars or pounds or euros more, you can have the 14mm/82° Explore. Just because the Explore is a Nagler clone guarantees it will outresolve the Hyperion.

I'd say go for the Celestron Luminos 15 mm good match for your scope can be had for around same money and 82° Or as John says the ES are great value and good all round I had full set of the hypierions wasn't really impressed with them always seemed a bit soft . 

Archived