NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Animations of Minor Proms... Worthwhile?

cshahar

On a very quiet solar disk, the pickings are quite slim, so I have taken to creating animations of proms. Sometimes however, there is not much happening by way of proms as well. So I have a choice not to venture outside at all. I am not quite sure how interesting these "minor" prom animations are. Of course, there is always the possibility that a major prom might spring out of these smaller ones and surprise me.

The first anim was taken on September 6th and is of 1.5 hours duration in real time, and was imaged in slightly above average seeing (3.5/5). I have provided a closeup as well. The second was taken on September 13th and is 2 hours long, and was imaged under average seeing (3/5). I have also provided a panorama of 30 minute duration (watch that little flare shoot out!). Finally, the last was taken on September 16th and is of 1.5 hours duration, and was imaged in poor seeing (2/5). I varied the frame rate to take into account poor seeing, with a faster rate for videos taken under the latter conditions. These files may take a few seconds to load.

Thanks!

-Charles

Prom Animation1.gif

Prom Animation2.gif

Animation3.gif

Animation4.gif

Animation1.gif

Archived