Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First look at Jupiter

Pauln

Got my first look at Jupiter Saturday night. Was just on my way to bed and saw it shinning brightly over the rooftops opposite my house. So I quickly set up my ST80 on a camera tripod in the study and looked at it through the window (closed). Wasn't really sure what to expect given its low position but with a 9mm eyepiece the view was superb. I could see the two equatorial bands and the brightest 4 moons, fortunately for me the moon was hidden behind a tree so I am sure this helped.

I then heard a voice from upstairs and my eldest daughter was awake so she came down to have a look and was thrilled with it. I was amazed at the size of the disc, hopefully I will get some more clear skies and be able to get the 6" Newt on it, although I think I will have to set up at the front of the house which may get me some weird looks.

Nice report :shocked:

The ST80 scopes deliver more than you expect I've found. I found that when I did eventually manage to get Jupiter in the eyepiece of my 8 inch scope the view was not that much better. I suspect that Jupiters low altitude presents seeing issues that affect larger scopes more than smaller ones.

John

I have to say Jupiter has been awsume this year. My C8 has really delivered in detail... I viewed 3 times over the last 4 nights. 6 bands + fastons. And the GRS.. very pleased.

Nice report Paul. I'm going to try it with the ETX125....its too low for viewing from the Obs because of trees, so I too may need to be imaginative on a viewing site! I need to be able to tick the GRS off the top 50 list!!

Helen

Great report Paul, nice to hear your daughter was as thrilled.

I too may need to be imaginative on a viewing site!

Helen

The only way I can get to see/image it at the mo is by setting up right at the top of the house through the velux window !! Worth the hassle of taking all the gear up there :shocked:

Karlo

although I think I will have to set up at the front of the house which may get me some weird looks.

Just got my first view outside but in the back yard for around 40 minutes and looked good at x75 in my Skymax. It's been tricky to view Jupiter at ground level for me until tonight.

Paul

I managed to get a quick look last night. I had to set the scope up on the path between our house and next door, but it was worth it - even Mike came out and said 'that's impressive!' :shocked: Four moons seen clearly, and 2 very clear bands on the planet. It was remarkably steady seeing considering how low it was (it was only 9:45 and not properly dark even). I used the ETX125 mounted on the SLT mount - that was anything but steady though! Vibration damping took about a couple of minutes after focusing :shock: .

Fifteen minutes was enough for me though - I've got a terrible cold, cough etc and needed to get to bed. How come the first clear spell we've had for months (years??) and I'm too ill to make the most of it :lol::):lol:

Helen <sniff>

Archived