NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pacman - Monitor Calibration Test

gnomus

Looks identical to me too, I think there is an old topic by Psycobilly that discussed this effect.

The problem as I see it is that the colour change through differing applications/browsers is significant, the one thing you can do is calibrate the monitor but thats only the start.

Alan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again.  I think I understand the Colour space settings stuff.  I've cleared my cache, as suggested, but the first image image still looks red until I click on it to bring up the "View Full Size" option - it then looks like the JPEG I posted.

Normal View

normal.jpg

Expanded View

expanded.jpg

Thanks again.  An interesting article.  I'm not sure I followed all of it, but it seems to be suggesting that different web browsers may display things differently depending on whether that image is a PNG or JPEG.  I only started using PNGs recently because of things I read here which I interpreted as suggesting that PNGs may be superior to JPEG.  I think I will go back to JPEG for posts, because the PNG seems to have led me down a blind alley somewhat.

Few thoughts.  Are you saving your colour custom colour profile with the image?  If not try that but note certain browsers do not support all image types and ICC profiles.  Also some devices (My android tablet) have things like dynamic set as screen mode.  I change mine to photo and it is a lot better.

There is lots of details online about the ICC profiles and which apps support them, if you're web location is not covered you may need to then change to sRGB or one that is supported and tweak colours in that profile.  

I run a 4k UHD monitor with calibration and save my profile with my images.  Some people will not see as intended  some will, too much hard work trying to get it right all the time for a range of applications and devices out there.  Maybe your process or target page does not support ICC in PNG files?

On the image it looks a little salmon (pinky red tones) here on my monitor as opposed to a deep or vivid red.

Paddy

27 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Few thoughts.  Are you saving your colour custom colour profile with the image?  If not try that but note certain browsers do not support all image types and ICC profiles.  Also some devices (My android tablet) have things like dynamic set as screen mode.  I change mine to photo and it is a lot better.

There is lots of details online about the ICC profiles and which apps support them, if you're web location is not covered you may need to then change to sRGB or one that is supported and tweak colours in that profile.  

I run a 4k UHD monitor with calibration and save my profile with my images.  Some people will not see as intended  some will, too much hard work trying to get it right all the time for a range of applications and devices out there.  Maybe your process or target page does not support ICC in PNG files?

On the image it looks a little salmon (pinky red tones) here on my monitor as opposed to a deep or vivid red.

Paddy

Thanks Paddy.  When I was doing landscape photography, I worked in ProPhoto.  More recently, I have tended just to use Adobe RGB.  However, when I post on the Interweb, I convert the image to sRGB, since I believe this is the Internet 'standard'.  The images posted are all sRGB.  I didn't know I could embed my custom monitor profile in the image.  But surely that wouldn't work since it's unlikely my monitor will be the same as your monitor/iPad/etc.  

I have an X-Rite thingamajig comng tomorrow.  I'll let you know how I get on with that.  I suspect more alcohol will be required....

Bit basic but have you have made sure that all borwser and apps you are using are using the same colour space? you obviously will have differences if one is using RGB, sRGB or CMYK.

Are you using a CMM with your new monitor?, are your ICC profiles correct?

PS: Nice pacman.

I think I have it sorted now.  I can set up my monitor to use different colour spaces with different applications.  There is an Auto and a Manual setting.  I hadn't quite understood how to set this correctly.  I have now calibrated it with the X-Rite and I am getting something very close to what I see on my iPad and other devices.  I just need a few more hours on the Pacman now.  Lovely night but a large moon blazing away in the sky.  

Archived