NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New power supply for EQ6

Demonperformer

I am looking at replacing the power supply I have been using for the EQ6 mount. The one I have been using up until now is 12v 1.25A, and I have not been aware of any problems. But looking at this, it says that I need a 2A power supply to run the EQ6.

So this begs the question, what have I been 'missing out' on by using a 1.25A power supply. The point being that, if the answer is 'nothing', then a 1.7A supply will suffice, which is considerably cheaper than the next one up (which is 3A).

And, in case anyone is wondering why not replace it with another of the ones I already use, the answer is that they are no longer listed on the Maplin website.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

I am looking at replacing the power supply I have been using for the EQ6 mount. The one I have been using up until now is 12v 1.25A, and I have not been aware of any problems. But looking at this, it says that I need a 2A power supply to run the EQ6.

So this begs the question, what have I been 'missing out' on by using a 1.25A power supply. The point being that, if the answer is 'nothing', then a 1.7A supply will suffice, which is considerably cheaper than the next one up (which is 3A).

And, in case anyone is wondering why not replace it with another of the ones I already use, the answer is that they are no longer listed on the Maplin website.

Thanks.

The mount will be drawing at least 1.25amps when slewing and if the psu can't deliver the required amps then things start to go wrong. The goto system may fail and cause the mount to start slewing erratically (most slewing faults can be cured by using a psu which can provided at least the minimum amps, more is better) or the psu may just give up and fail because more amps are being drawn than the psu can provide. It is false economy to use a psu that is "just adequate" for the task. 

Thanks for the link. I am hoping to do it for a bit less than that, but on the 'customers also viewed' panel on that page there is this, which will still give me 2½x the amperage that is required, but is only half the price.

Presumably the power supply would not be bothered that I would not be using it to power a cctv camera:icon_biggrin: - as long as the plug on the end was the right size ...

Thanks.

I did some current measurements with an oscilloscope current probe and I didn't see any current drain over 1.5A.

There is more information under my post "Power supply : Work in progress" but you may have to wade through a lot of discussion about safety.

Hope that helps.

cheers

gaj 

Archived