NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Maplin Power Tank back on offer @ £19.99

rawhead

My C8 GPS can go for several hours on a 17amp battery. The tech. spec. for the C8, C9.25 & the C11 GPS are that they all take only 3/4 amp/hour. However it often depends on other accessories like Dew heaters and CCD cams that need power for cooling.

With the short spells available for scanning and imaging the heavens in the UK, running out of power is usually no problem!

MD

Hi. Gurney, the LX90 a similar telescope, has a compartment which houses 8 x 1.5v dry cells as a power supply.

If you think a 17A/H Power Tank would be fragile, there would hardly be time to get through the set up routine with a dry cell power pack. :shocked:

The 17A/H Ought to get you through a nights work with the 200 easily enough. Those little stepper motors draw little current, and It's only the RA one that operates continuously. The dec. motor only when it's needed. As long as your scope is not battling poor balance, it will be fine.

Of course the Ideal supply is a mains operated unit, but only under safe environmental conditions, IE inside an Observatory, or a weather sealed RCD protected unit professionally installed.

Ron. :lol:

Do these come with the power lead to plug into the HEQ5 mounts etcs or do you need to buy these extra.

They come with a lead. A standard 12v adaptor at one end and a car cigarette lighter adaptor at the other...

I've just bought one of these and if it can handle my CG5 GT for a few hours then i'll be well pleased

as the power tank that celestron sell at the same capacity is £90 or there abouts.

Is this a good deal, "Only time will tell" But for £20 you cant go far wrong.

Thanks for the heads up Rawhead. :salute: :salute: :salute:

Mick

I have this one exactly.

It runs the HEQ5 PRO which pulls 2amp, the camera power, two dew straps. It is happy running those for at least 4 hours (my longest session since owning one).

Most mount use much less than two amp in normal tracking mode, it's only when slewing at x300 that the consumption goes up to 2amp.

I think that this power station will power most scopes for 8 hours. Obviously the cold doesn't help - I'll be wrapping mine up in a blanket on those really cold nights.

HTH

Ant

An unladen swallow 10" LX200 would normally draw upto 4 amps when cold slewing, however, when it's just tracking away tha consumption drops to just about 1 amp, so the power tanks are brilliant for them. You'll easily get a good nights use out of one. They've been around as a scope accessory for years and with good reason.

I've used one of these in the past to run my G11 with no problems, if fact I've just bought one from maplins, you can never have to many power supplies in my book and for £19.99 it's a bargin.

ALDI and LIDL were doing them for £3.99 recently I belive. Im sure the Aldi near mine still has them in. Dont have the 5v USB on them though . . .

Im popping to Maplins today to pick one up (Might get 2 . . . ). I need some wire-wound resistors anyway.

I'll be investing in one of these since I left my lights on yesterday and couldn't get home from work - don't want that happening again. Hopefully soon I'll have a scope that requires plugged into one :crybaby:

Got one! They look plasticy and cheap but the weight is there in the battery. It will do spot on for me. Im gonna mod this as it looks like there is plenty of room to add a couple more utility sockets . . . . and im gonna make a red light mask for the light.

Why don't you just buy a 6 volt battery. and a charger. Apart from the compressor/light and ammeter in the Maplin Power Tank. There is not a lot of difference.

You can wire up a cigarette plug male and female yourself, and Bob's your uncle. Can't see that lot costing much more than £20.

Ron.

Archived