SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Question on large nebulas

N3ptune

Hello everyone,

I wish to know, which large nebula (from the list bellow) should I be able to see according to the criteria:

Pollution level (5) from the Bortle Scale (medium to heavy depending of the direction I look at), 203mm aperture, 32mm EP + 2 inches UHC or OIII only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bortle_scale

If someone could somewhat guide me, It could save me time and money.

LIST OF LARGE NEBULAS.

IC 1805 (Heart Nebula) 60' - 6.5m
IC 1848 (Soul Nebula) 40' - 6.5
NGC 7822 (Cetus close to CED 214) 20'
CED 214 (Cetus close to NGC 7822) 50'
ŅGC 1449 (California nebula) 160' - 5
NGC 7000 (North america nebula) 120' - 4
NGC 2264 (Christmas tree nebula) 20' - 3.9
IC 5067 (Pelican nebula) 60' - 8
NGC 6960 (Veil nebula) 210' - 7  (Success with 32mm and 25mm) I saw the long crescent part finally :happy8:
NGC 6992 (Veil nebula) 60' - 7
NGC 6995 (Veil nebula) 12' - 7
NGC 2264 (Cone nebula close to Christmas tree) 20' - 3.9
NGC 2244 (Rosette nebula) 80' - 5.5
IC 2177 (Canis minor monoceros) 20'
IC 434 (Horsehead nebula) 90' - 11
M43 (Orion) 20' - 7
M42 (Orion) 90' - 4 (Success with all EPs)
M16 (Eagle nebula) 7' - 6
M17 (Omega Nebula) 11' - 6
M8 (Lagoon nebula) 45' - 5

Thanks (:

1 hour ago, N3ptune said:

The ones listed above are your best bet for next year. But big nebula and any light pollution is a rubbish mix.

Try for the smaller planetary nebulae and give your OIII a good workout!

Ring

Dumbell

Little Dumbell

Saturn

Blue Snowball

Cats Eye

Blinking

etc etc.

Good luck

Paul

2 hours ago, N3ptune said:

NGC 7000 (North america nebula) 120' - 4
NGC 6960 (Veil nebula) 210' - 7
NGC 6992 (Veil nebula) 60' - 7
NGC 6995 (Veil nebula) 12' - 7
IC 2177 (Canis minor monoceros) 20'
M43 (Orion) 20' - 7
M42 (Orion) 90' - 4 

I'd say you have a potentially better sky darkness than I do (suspect I'm closer to a Bortle 6) and you have a bigger scope, so the ones above you should get since I've been able to see most of them. However M16 can be tough and you still may not bag IC2177, as it's difficult in LP.  If you can get a pupil exit close to 5mm and a nebula filter, it should work depending on conditions. The Eastern Veil (6992&6995) should be the easier of the Cygnus Loop.....expect you've seen these?

Sharpless 2-132 should also be possible.

You got a list of my faves there.. Would add barnards loop, monkey head, ic1396, seagull(2177), ic1318 the list goes on and on. All nice and large and detailed.

ced214/ngc7822 (in Cepheus) being a special fave. As said, if you are working fully naked eye then you will be needing dark skies, filters, wide angle eyepiece and  patience.

cheers

PeterW

PS where are you observing from)

Surprising, I thought most of the large nebula list was going to be impossible to see.

@Paul73

Thanks for the suggestions! Inside your small planetary list, I saw a few of them, the Cat's I haven't found it after 4 attempts!!

@Special K
I saw only the crescent part of the Veil yet, the one close to the #52 star, It's already a great achievement (:

@PeterW
hehehe glad you like the list, these are the largest nebulas I could find inside the Cambridge double star atlas.

They are also the larger and brighter objects on the Sharpless catalogue. they are indeed on the "near impossible" end of the normal observing scale, but well worth trying to find, though don't be put off if you can't see them. A wide rich field instrument is what you need. Ignore the magnitude numbers, you are in surface brightness territory like you are with galaxies.

happy hunting

peter

I'd guess my sky is between 5 & 6. The only additions to your list I can see from  home with my 16" is the omega nebula, m16 is too faint, but I did see the crescent nebula last week. I agree with paul73, all of his list are good targets. :) 

If it's of any interest, this is a simulation of how the Veil nebula appears under a dark sky with a 4" refractor (Televue Genesis or similar) and an OIII filter.

This is a an image which I have de-tuned to look as close as possible to the view. It's not an exact science but gives a good indication of what can be seen.

image.jpeg

The NA and Pelican nebula are a primary target at the moment and very worth exploring if your sky is dark enough. This has been a dependable and enjoyable subject to observe throughout the summer, including last night which typically the sky I was under (SQM 21.25), settled down with very good transparency at the point I had to pack up. I was using my 14" scope but my 8" scope performs very well to on this, in my circumstance x59, 1.38 degree, 5.84 exit pupil and lumicon UHC filter was the formula. 

4 hours ago, scarp15 said:

The NA and Pelican nebula are a primary target at the moment and very worth exploring if your sky is dark enough. This has been a dependable and enjoyable subject to observe throughout the summer, including last night which typically the sky I was under (SQM 21.25), settled down with very good transparency at the point I had to pack up. I was using my 14" scope but my 8" scope performs very well to on this, in my circumstance x59, 1.38 degree, 5.84 exit pupil and lumicon UHC filter was the formula. 

I thank you for the summer suggestion, hopefully my sky will be dark enough for the North America and Pelican. I should get my new NPB filters soon and give them a shot, when the moon is at it's waning face. I'll have 2.24 degrees 6.4 exit pupil 31x + NPB filter or 1.5 degrees 5.0 exit pupil 40x + NPB filter

(((:

Clear evening, not seen that for a while. Moon up, but I am not going to complain, SQM reading 18.8. Sweeping around Cygnus using a 50mm Finder (and intensifier and 6nm hydrogen alpha filter) and stray light shield to guard against ambient light.
Lots of obvious nebulous billows around gamma Cygni, one in the direction of the crescent and some beyond it. Not sure I picked up lbn208, no obvious nebula edges. A long blobby arc from gamma in the direction of delta Cygni and then back via sh112 to Deneb. North America and pelican good, ic5068 and sh119 in addition. Ic1396, sh142,sh132 and sh157 down and to the left in a line. Ced214&ngc7762 further over. The pacman nice and clear.
Quite a pleasant surprise, I need to work on getting better "identifier" charts... You see stuff and want to know what it is!

PEter

On 2016-09-12 at 03:09, PeterW said:
Lots of obvious nebulous billows around gamma Cygni,

Oh great you saw the Crescent NGC 6888 bellow Gamma Cygni, I want to see that one someday. Did you use a hydrogen alpha filter to see that one?

Great observation including a lot of objects.

The crescent is bright, just not very big. As with seeing anything you need it to be big enough in the field of view so it becomes visible. Yes, I was filtering with 2 stacked hydrogen alpha filters (anything to purge unwanted photons)

peter

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

The crescent is bright, just not very big. As with seeing anything you need it to be big enough in the field of view so it becomes visible. Yes, I was filtering with 2 stacked hydrogen alpha filters (anything to purge unwanted photons)

peter

Not sure you could describe it as bright Peter, but maybe it is with your image intensifier?

Archived