Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wake-On-LAN with TeamViewer 11 - Help Please!

PhotoGav

Sorry to burst the bubble - lying isn't in my nature by the way - but I have got bad news for you.

One of the PCs on my home network is permanently turned on as I use it for a single purpose - to collect emails. This PC is part of the same 'group' as the Observatory PC and it would appear that it automatically forwards WOL requests from anywhere on the Internet to the observatory PC. This works very reliably indeed but does require a single PC to be turned on at the time a WOL request is made.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::BangHead:

The WOL battle continues!

I have had a play with this again this evening and I successfully turned on my obsy PC using my BT Home Hub Broadband IP address assigned to a no-ip.com (so that it updates when changed) domain name, with that domain name entered into the Public Address section of TeamViewer on the obsy PC. I connected my laptop to the Internet via 4G on my phone and was amazed when it all worked. The only problem was that I couldn't repeat it! It only seems to work once. Bizarre and completely useless... So, I have reverted settings to local network and will continue to try and find a way round this. I think that Steve's solution is the only one that will work, i.e. having a PC on 24/7 on the home network (or at least on when you know you will want to remote WOL).

50 minutes ago, daz said:

A plusnet one - which I *think* is essentially a re-badged BT one. I was looking at my son's at the weekend and the design is the same, and the UI is practically identical!

I think you will be OK as I read somewhere in my recent research that one of the providers who can provide a static IP on request is..... Plusnet!

Keep us posted with how you get on. Good luck!

So, if I've understood Steve's workaround: install a windows pc (separate to the obs pc) which is always on, has Teamviewer installed and connected to the network.  Connect to this pc from outside the network, use it to send the WOL to the Obs pc.  Once Obs pc is awake you can then disconnect from TV in the 'waking-up pc' and then connect to the Obs pc with TV from outside the network to control the Obs pc and run your sequence.

Have I got that right?

46 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

So, if I've understood Steve's workaround: install a windows pc (separate to the obs pc) which is always on, has Teamviewer installed and connected to the network.  Connect to this pc from outside the network, use it to send the WOL to the Obs pc.  Once Obs pc is awake you can then disconnect from TV in the 'waking-up pc' and then connect to the Obs pc with TV from outside the network to control the Obs pc and run your sequence.

Have I got that right?

It is even simpler than that, Barry. With the 24/7 PC switched on with TV running and connected to the same network 'group' as the observatory via your router, you simply send a WOL request to the Observatory PC, the request is intercepted by the 24/7 PC which issues the actual WOL 'magic packet' to the Observatory. The Observatory PC fires up and notifies all users in the group (including the remote) that it is 'awake' so you then issue a 'connect' request to it.

The interaction with the 24/7 PC is seamless and in the background.

That's exactly the way I did it Barry, but I like the sound of what Steve suggests even better! I will give that a go soon.

In the meantime I'm having total Dome meltdown............. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

True, nobody ever said it would be easy.

On the plus side, I recently made a book with 21 astrophotographs in it and a lot of info about the images and astrophotography. I took it to my local bookshop and the manager loved it and is now stocking the title!!! :laugh: It's not going to keep me in Takahashis or anything, but very satisfying!

Thanks Barry - it's vanity published though! Still good to have made something I'm very happy with and other people are enjoying. I just need the endorsement of an Astro superstar and it would be bye-bye day job!

Anyway, I digress...

What are these sticks you talk of?

I started on this tonight, with a view to get TV running internally first....

I downloaded the latest version on both laptop and observatory PC, registered a free account and set passwords on both computers. I then configured the observatory PC for easy access from the laptop partner ID. So far, so good...

Now, to configure the WOL.

Set the option on the observatory PC to allow WOL from the laptop partner, set the WOL on the NIC on the PC, changed the power plan to allow WOL, changed the BIOS setting to allow WOL. All that done, I shut down the observatory PC and turned to the laptop.

Selected the observatory PC in the computer panel and clicked the Wake Up button..... Nothing. Nada. Zilch....

After a lot of digging on t'internet, I discovered that my Dell computer has a setting in BIOS called Deep Sleep. This was ENABLED for shut-down and basically means that all power to all accessories is shut-off. So, disabling this means I can WOL :)

Interestingly, I can do this directly from the TV on the laptop and do not need a PC running 24x7....

Next step is to register a dynamic IP account and test the remote access.

Interestingly, I can do this directly from the TV on the laptop and do not need a PC running 24x7....

@dazYou only need the 24/7 PC if you are trying to WOL from a PC on the Internet, NOT on the LAN.

If you have a static IP or are using a DNS service to achieve a quasi-static IP then you don't need a 24/7 PC to WOL from a PC on the Internet .

Well done Daz, that's the first part completed successfully. Enjoy sitting room WOL! :biggrin:

Now for the bit that we are all falling over with - WOL from outside your router network without a PC on at home 24/7. I very much look forward to hearing how you get on and hope that you can share the way to make it work with us all very soon!

Yup, I agree, +1 for Devolo internet over power line.

18 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

@dazYou only need the 24/7 PC if you are trying to WOL from a PC on the Internet, NOT on the LAN.

If you have a static IP or are using a DNS service to achieve a quasi-static IP then you don't need a 24/7 PC to WOL from a PC on the Internet .

Yes, I now understand that.. The TV documentation is not desperately clear I found - and the assumption they make is that you want WOL from the internet, not from the LAN - don't they know we are lazy g.its and want to sit in comfort!!

:)

Well, it turns out the model of router I have has a known problem with port forwarding!! So, I have the NoIP account all set up, the router can talk to NoIP but I can't actually access anything because PlusNet don't actually support port-forwarding on their own routers!! 

Excellent....

3 hours ago, daz said:

Well, it turns out the model of router I have has a known problem with port forwarding!! So, I have the NoIP account all set up, the router can talk to NoIP but I can't actually access anything because PlusNet don't actually support port-forwarding on their own routers!! 

Excellent....

:BangHead::BangHead: Welcome to the party!! :BangHead::BangHead:

On the subject of Steve's 'WOL by Neighbour' technique - I gave it a go this afternoon and I can confirm that it really does work! Just make sure that the 'neighbour' PC is on the list of computers that can wake up the destination PC.

Martin - that would just be too easy!

I leave my observatory laptop on 24/7 and often other stuff too.  Electronics is happiest left on rather that switched on and off.  It prefers running at a more or less constant temperature rather than repeatedly hot and cold.  I have professional experience of this and though that was quite some time ago, electronic devices haven't changed much from that point of view.

Archived