Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wake-On-LAN with TeamViewer 11 - Help Please!

PhotoGav

I am trying to set up Wake-On-LAN with TeamViewer 11 and am stumbling when it comes to connecting from outside my home network. I have set it up and it works when I select 'Other TeamViewer within your local network', but I tried to set it up to work with 'Public address' and nothing, it won't even let me select that option.

I have set up port forwarding on my BT Home Hub 4 router (at least I think I have!). I have tried to set a static IP address on the windows 10 laptop that I want to be able to wake up. However, when I select 'Public address' in TeamViewer and input the IP Address that I have set, it returns 'Invalid Data' and won't let me set it to 'Public address'. I am right at the edge of my comprehension of computers here, so don't really know what I am doing so can't work out how to make it work. Hopefully one of you super techno wizard guru sorts will be able to assist.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably not much help Gav as I usually just bumble along following tutorials on this sort of thing that usually manage to leave out a vital step.

Recently had problems trying to set up a static ip address for my 10Micron mount on Win10 but it didn't want to know and kept reassigning one to it.

Curiously it worked OK on Win7

Good luck

Dave

Hi Gav,

i believe some broadband providers (virgin for example) block magic packets being broadcast when communicating over their WAN. I can use WOL on my local network, but cannot externally.  I eventually bought an Aviosys 9258 IP power device and have my obs computer bios set to turn on when powered on. This way I can control power to my obs pc and other devices.

julian

18 minutes ago, snowy911 said:

Hi Gav,

i believe some broadband providers (virgin for example) block magic packets being broadcast when communicating over their WAN. I can use WOL on my local network, but cannot externally.  I eventually bought an Aviosys 9258 IP power device and have my obs computer bios set to turn on when powered on. This way I can control power to my obs pc and other devices.

julian

Julian, thank you that is very interesting to read and could well be the problem. The 'turn on when powered on' certainly looks like a solution.

It's a pain that it doesn't work even after following the TeamViewer instructions. What I did manage to do as a sort of work around is to set up my daughter's laptop to be able to wake-on-lan the obsy PC from within the home network. I can then remote connect to her laptop from outside the home network and control it to wake the obsy PC. This does mean that my daughter's laptop needs to be at home and switched on, which is not ideal, but for tonight, when I will be away with work for the night and the forecast is clear all night, I intend to give remote imaging a try!

9 hours ago, kev said:

Let me know how that goes please i can use that solution! 8-). 

Well, success! I just managed to wake up the Obsy PC via my daughter's laptop while sitting in the Weighing Room at Epsom Downs racecourse! Halleluiah! Fingers crossed for imaging success later.

***-UPDATE-***

I just managed to configure TeamViewer to Wake-On-Lan my Obsy PC through the Public Address option and, even better, I managed to actually start up the obsy PC while using an internet connection through my phone, so not on my home network. Hoorah!

The thing that I was getting wrong was the IP address that I was trying to enter into the Public Address field in TeamViewer. I was trying to put in the IP address of the Obsy PC itself. Instead, I checked the details on my BT Home Hub (my home router) and found its 'Broadband Network IP'. I put this into TeamViewer on the Obsy PC and it was accepted straight away and it now works.

The other settings required to get this to work, as far as I can make out, were on the BT Home Hub as follows:

1. I have assigned a static IP address to my Obsy PC in the Advanced Settings/Home Network section.

2. In the Advanced Settings/Firewall/Port Forwarding section on the BT Home Hub, I have coupled TeamViewer with my Obsy PC using UDP Port 9.

The only issue that I foresee is that the BT Home Hub Broadband Network IP will probably change when the hub is restarted as I think that address is allocated dynamically. That will mean that I will have to enter the new Broadband Network IP address of the hub in TeamViewer on the obsy PC every time it is restarted. Which isn't too often.

Superb!

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Still trying to get my Lakeside motor focuser to connect reliably, I set it to COM5 and something keeps setting it back to COM1 and then it won't connect and complains like it's my fault.

Always worked fine on Win7, Win10 huh, where's the grinding teeth emo' when you need it.

Dave

5 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Oh no... I have a Lakeside Motor Focuser on order - that's my next :BangHead: waiting for me just there!!!

Let me know if you have problems, I have to delete the COM1 entry in ASCOM profile, change it to COM5 and set it to COM5 in Lakeside utility and try connect quickly, if it fails, turn it off and on and try it all again.

According to Peter at Lakeside there shouldn't be any problems :)

Dave

1 hour ago, martin_h said:

Or you could just leave the obs computer powered up 24/7 and set to never sleep,  I do!

Definitely, that is the 'will certainly work' option. I haven't given up on the Wake-On-Lan project quite yet. However, I have plenty of time as there is no way I am confident enough in the kit quite yet to remote control from anywhere other than the house...!

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 12:15, Davey-T said:

Let me know if you have problems, I have to delete the COM1 entry in ASCOM profile, change it to COM5 and set it to COM5 in Lakeside utility and try connect quickly, if it fails, turn it off and on and try it all again.

According to Peter at Lakeside there shouldn't be any problems :)

Dave

Dave, Gav

I have had to upgrade to a Win 10 pc last week and do not have a problem with my Lakeside and Com ports.  All works well, so persevere.  The only time I have to reset the Com port is when I update SGP to a new version; I think this is because of the serial/usb adapter not 'remembering' the port.

I have configured Teamviewer 11 to WOL in my local network but am failing for remote because whenever I try to access my BT home hub 5 port forwarding setting, the router immediately drops the connection.  Having spent the best part of what seems a lifetime talking to BT customer technical help and getting nowhere I have given up at the moment.  I connect to the router with my main home mac by Ethernet and have yet to try connecting with wifi in the hope that it is only an Ethernet connection that is dropped and not the wifi.  This appears to be a well documented glitch in the BT firmware and you can read about to your heart's content on the web.  Resetting the home hub to its factory settings as recommended has made no difference whatsoever.

The joys of IT!

Barry - that's good to hear that the Lakeside isn't a complete disaster!! It all arrived today, but I have only installed the motor onto the Edge so far. The WO Star 71 will be going into theatre over the weekend for its upgrade and I'm hoping that clear skies next week will enable me to get autofocus up and running. Fingers crossed.

As for remote wake-on-lan - Steve (aka Steppenwolf) assures me that he can do it reliably through his BT Home Hub 5. I have asked for full instructions, but he hasn't got back to me yet. I suspect he was lying!!!!!!! :biggrin:

1 hour ago, kev said:

I replaced my bt mk5 with a dlink top end managed switch almost immediately.  It now runs faster than before!  Evens runs faster than next doors mk5 and hes  an openreach chap. 

Oh no, another astro related expense coming on! My old BT 4 is shocking... I feel a trip to the Swindon Retail Park is required!

21 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Barry - that's good to hear that the Lakeside isn't a complete disaster!! It all arrived today, but I have only installed the motor onto the Edge so far. The WO Star 71 will be going into theatre over the weekend for its upgrade and I'm hoping that clear skies next week will enable me to get autofocus up and running. Fingers crossed.

As for remote wake-on-lan - Steve (aka Steppenwolf) assures me that he can do it reliably through his BT Home Hub 5. I have asked for full instructions, but he hasn't got back to me yet. I suspect he was lying!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Thanks Gav.  You may just save my BT sanity :clouds1:

Archived