NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dslr dust on sensor

alacant

Hi. I've a canon 700d, modified for red. There's a dust mark. Flat frames do a good job of (almost) eliminating it from final images but I'd like to have a go at removing it. I can't see anything by holding the shutter open on B and I've tried one of these but still it remains. Short of sending it to Juan @ cheapastro who modified it, I wonder if anyone has developed a safe method for removing such? TIA and clear skies.dust.JPG

Don't be afraid.  There are quite a few videos on YouTube showing how to do it.

A good start is to lock up the mirror then take the lens off, and hold the camera upside down.  Then use a filtered  air blower (don't be tempted to blow in from your mouth) .

Then refit the lens and take a picture of something bright like a clear sky or a white sheet that fills the frame with the aperture set at f/16 higher.  Then take a look at the image.

If that doesn't work then move on to wet cleaning

I used a cleaner from www.visibledust.com, there are others out there, make sure you get one that is the correct size for your sensor.  It worked a treat after one wipe.

Would not worry about it, just clean the sensor once in a while. I use a CLS Clip filter and it never leaves the camera just for this reason, it acts as a nice seal against dust. A little dithering between frames is the very best way of taking care of dust. 

Archived