Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon with binoviewer at x100

Actually it was a great night. Once I stopped messing around with the telescope and started looking at the moon.

Trying a new addition to the stable - a C8 with carbon tube, on long-term loan. I really want to get to like this instrument, but it's a steep learning curve from my dob.

Anyway, it works great with my WO binoviewers, having such long focus range, so I could use the supplied 20mm eyepieces and no barlow last night, giving a view which seems to be a hot air balloon ride over the surface of the moon. Stunning! 3D. I'm again amazed at what goes on in the brain when two eyes are involved. Like I had never seen the moon before. I spent the evening there, switched off the motor drive and let the moon drift through the field, again and again. It's a natural landscape, nature not as we know it, but also similar. Savannah-like. Unforgettable.

I could have got the same effect more easily with the little dob and barlowed the binoviewer, but that's not the point... last night was great just as it was.

7 minutes ago, AlentejoSkies said:

Actually it was a great night. Once I stopped messing around with the telescope and started looking at the moon.

Trying a new addition to the stable - a C8 with carbon tube, on long-term loan. I really want to get to like this instrument, but it's a steep learning curve from my dob.

Anyway, it works great with my WO binoviewers, having such long focus range, so I could use the supplied 20mm eyepieces and no barlow last night, giving a view which seems to be a hot air balloon ride over the surface of the moon. Stunning! 3D. I'm again amazed at what goes on in the brain when two eyes are involved. Like I had never seen the moon before. I spent the evening there, switched off the motor drive and let the moon drift through the field, again and again. It's a natural landscape, nature not as we know it, but also similar. Savannah-like. Unforgettable.

I could have got the same effect more easily with the little dob and barlowed the binoviewer, but that's not the point... last night was great just as it was.

Nice one. I was doing a very similar thing with my Tak and Binoviewers.  I still struggle using them on planets but for the moon last night the views were lovely.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just sold mine.. and a bit gutted about it too..

The views of the terminator through binos were outrageously good, the 3D effect does make it worth while, if you can get them to work at native FL (Ie no Barlow or corrector)  I was getting over 200x in my F11 frac, it held up some fantastic images, best moon I've seen and best GRS too..

Will miss them, but putting aside for (hopefully) the new baader offering that I've heard is in the pipeline.

Absolutely nothing definite..  Just a few mumbles at the moment of a maxbright mk11

there was a link on cloudy nights http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/508670-new-baader-binoviewer/

We can but hope, as I really enjoyed the WO pair, but with a restricting high mag in my F11... well I just wanted a system that was more flexible with out sending the scope of to be reduced down.

ta

Fozzie

Archived