NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

August 15th - Large Prominence Detaching - 3pm to 6pm

paulastro

After seeing the large prominence looked as it might become detached (from an image on GONG) at 2.35pm I went outside and watched it until I finally lost it as haze consumed the sun at just turned 6.00pm.

Seeing conditions were very variable and to take images in my Lunt 60 DS I had to use some long exposures at times (up to 1/2 sec), frequently to penetrate the hazy conditions. I used the Olympus E-M10 and took single frames from 3.00pm to 6.00pm.  The frames below were taken on the half hours between these two times - plus or minus 3/4 minutes.  I started off at 500 asa, but as it got hazier I had to increase this to 1250 asa.  The images are hardly high def to say the least (ha!), but do give some idea of how the prominence became detached over these three hours.

P8150564a.jpgP8150715a.jpgP8150749a.jpgP8150799a.jpgP8150814a.jpgP8150849a.jpgP8150925a.jpg

44 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

But it's not about the quality so much as what's happening and you've shown that off perfectly

Many thanks John.  You're quite right of course.  It's the reason I persist with the still camera and single frames, knowing that it's possible to get much better images using a video imager and stacking the best frames.  My aim is always to learn about the sun by observation and I use my images as a means to gather  the information I need quickly and with the least fuss.  Exactly as you say, to see and be able to show what's going on. 

Mind you, I am looking forward to the day when someone invents a one shot still camera that gives a result the same quality as a current top of the range video imaging camera :grin:.

7 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Mind you, I am looking forward to the day when someone invents a one shot still camera that gives a result the same quality as a current top of the range video imaging camera :grin:.

I'd give my right arm and 10 years salary for that if I could. 20 years for the added benefit of penetrating poor seeing. 

Luckily for the Present Mrs Foster I don't think that'll be invented anytime soon. 

Archived