NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thoughts on which imaging rigs to concentrate on

Gina

It's by no means certain. Large clouds passing over all the time but as it cools I think it will clear (and the wind is picking up). I'm amazed by the cooling on the camera. From an ambient of about 8C it went down to -30C and says it's only using 44% power!

• Like 1

Found the set of 60s g440 -30C darks.

Integrating pixels.  There was one duff dark frame so this is with 79 frames.

Screenshot from 2016-11-23 17-12-37.png

Edited by Gina

I just wondered how you spotted you had a bad one. I never check bias/dark subs and just assume the linear fit algorithm will weed out the bad data.

Now I've hit a snag. Even 30s at 400 gain is over exposing my image. Hopefully its because there is still 20 mins until astro dark but I may have to drop back to 300 gain.

PI spotted it.  Checked the rest in Blink and all OK.  Couldn't find the 120s darks so taking again.

Or reduce exposure to say 15s

Edited by Gina

I could drop to unity but I doubt my mount would be happy much above 60s, particularly in this wind so I'll stick to the higher gain and lower exposure. I've just checked more frames and the cores of more stars are over exposed in L but only just. Hoping that the RGB filters will do enough to bring it back within range. It's useful to test these things and know about them for future projects. And I just found SGPro has a frame grading tool so I can drop really bad frames even before copying them over to PixInsight!

• Like 1

Just run my all sky cam and against prediction the sky is clear ATM :)  But there's rain forecast so might not risk it.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Currently capturing 120s dark frames with gain of 440 and -30C.

I have master bias and darks matching some of the lights but next to sort out is the master flat.  The flat frames I have for the dates in question need recalibrating against the new master bias and appropriate master dark.

Calibrated and integrated the flats from 2016-10-13 as per the book and here is the auto-stretched result - it's different from what I got before - doesn't show the vignetting in the corners I got before.  Puzzling!

PI Flat Integration from 2016-10-13 on 2016-11-23 19-31-06.png

Having produced new masters for bias, dark and flat for October I could either run BPP again or go through the more detailed processing in PixInsight.  On the whole I think I'll try BPP again and see what difference making a proper master bias has made.

I find the more detailed process doesn't take too much longer once you get used to it. The only thing that can take time is assessing sub quality and weighting the subs during integration. You can, of course, just let PixInsight assess and weight quality using either method but I like the sub-frame selector script.

Took the set of Cygnus Loop SII light frames, looked at them carefully with Blink, dumped 3 and chose the best for reference.  Then processed the remaining 106 light frames with BPP using the master bias, dark and flat calibration files.  This is the result auto-stretched.  It's far better than I got before :)  In fact far better than I've ever got before in SII including captured with the Atik 460EX mono.  I had to go back and double check it really was the SII subs!  Total capture time of subs integrated was 212m = 3h 32m.

PI SII 106 Intergeration 120s 440 -30C.png

• Like 2

Tomorrow I plan to re-do the Ha and OIII data with the new master calibration files.  I can now go to bed happy with my latest achievements - I think I'm beginning to get the hang of PixInsight :)

Now processing the Ha light frames having checked in Blink - no more rejects, 105 frames, selected best frame to use as reference and set up everything in BPP.