NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Optics VX6L F8 1/12th pv

I bought this lovely beast from @Mark at Beaufort today.

The 1/12th pv mirror was the main attraction for me as I plan to put it to the test alongside a 6" F8 refractor on the Moon, planets and doubles to see how they compare. Given the central obstruction perhaps the ED120 would be a fairer comparison?

Anyway, it was great to see Mark and have a chat and I wait with baited breath for a clear sky something soon :rolleyes2:

VX6L.jpg

Lovely scope Derek :icon_biggrin:

I'll be interested to read about your comparison with the 6" refractor as well.

A couple of years back I had an Intes 6" F/5.9 mak-newtonian and my current ED120 and compared them for some months "back to back" is it were. It was a very interesting process :icon_biggrin:

6 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Hope you have a good break in Skye and you get clear skies. You have just got to decide what scope you are going to take.

Thanks, Mark. At the moment the odds on favourite is the C11 for its combined qualities of aperture, magnification in relatively compact package. It will also make an excellent spotting scope for looking at wildlife :smile:

Great looking scope Derek. I was just thinking that you had a gap in your collection for one of those ;)

Would be interesting to compare it with my f11 at SGL if I can fit that one in the car.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great looking scope Derek. I was just thinking that you had a gap in your collection for one of those ;)

Would be interesting to compare it with my f11 at SGL if I can fit that one in the car.

Indeed, Stu - so many gaps and so few scopes :rolleyes2:  :lol:

Yes, it would definitely be interesting to compare your F11 - perhaps we can find someone with and Altair 102 F11 to put alongside it  :smile:

Seeing how long this F8 is on the mount and having given it a quick test on the Sun today your F11 must need a fairly substantial mount to stop it wobbling?

57 minutes ago, DRT said:

Indeed, Stu - so many gaps and so few scopes :rolleyes2:  :lol:

Yes, it would definitely be interesting to compare your F11 - perhaps we can find someone with and Altair 102 F11 to put alongside it  :smile:

Seeing how long this F8 is on the mount and having given it a quick test on the Sun today your F11 must need a fairly substantial mount to stop it wobbling?

What, one of those dodgy old Altair f11s? ;);) 

It's not too bad, actually sits on the Vixen GP quite nicely without not too many vibrations. Ideally needs a dob mount I guess so I could pop it on my EQ Platform.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's not too bad, actually sits on the Vixen GP quite nicely without not too many vibrations. Ideally needs a dob mount I guess so I could pop it on my EQ Platform.

I am considering trying to find a way of linking the rings to the OO UK 8" Dob cradle so I could use it with that base but my head hasn't figured that one out yet :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, DRT said:

I am considering trying to find a way of linking the rings to the OO UK 8" Dob cradle so I could use it with that base but my head hasn't figured that one out yet :rolleyes:

I think you 'just' need some spacers either side between the rings and the radius blocks. Easy for a man of your talents :) 

If Stu brings the f11 and you have the f8 at SGL i will be bringing the 150 f6 so that might be a very good shoot out, speaking to Peter last night at Todmorden, he is certain the mirrors in mine are 1/10

Archived