Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSOs + some doubles 8/8/2016

Set up the 12" Dob because the forecast looked very promising.

I started by looking at 3 very tight doubles mainly to test that collimation was spot on. I view Mu Cygnus, Pi Aquila and the real test Zeta Hercules. I have never split Zeta Hercules with any of my scopes including a 180mm Mak/Cass - well last night the 12" performed.

My main programme was again seeking out objects from the Secret Deep by Steve O'Meara. I started with a nice PN in Delphinus - NGC6905. An O-III really does help. Next an open cluster in Cepheus - NGC 6939.

NGC 7129 is a faint reflection nebula and cluster - easy to locate but very diificult to see. I knew I was looking in the right place because of the shape of the cluster but after a while I could see the fuzzy nebula. Whilst in the area the cluster NGC 7142 was very close nearby so I took a look.

NGC 7160 is another cluster in Cepheus called 'Bruce Lee Cluster'.

I now ventured into Lacerta to view the open cluster NGC 7209. Being close I decided to view M39 and then the Coccon Nebula and B168. The dark nebula was easy with a wide FOV but I am not sure about IC 5146. I tried a H.Beta and Lumicon UHC and although I felt something was there and I am sure it was not wishful thinking.

My final Secret Deep object was NGC 7790 an open cluster in Cassopeia.

The sky was really good and I had no LP around me so I decided to view the Veil. Well I have never seen such a fine display of both the Eastern and Western elements. I used an Astronomik O-III and a Lumicon UHC and I was seeing so much detail in the Pickering's Triangle but also NGC 6979 and 6974. This has to be the finest sight I have ever had of the Veil.

Very nice report Mark. I was hoping to get out last night but the clouds remained over us here.

Zeta Herc remains stubbornly elusive for me, what sort of mag did you use?

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Zeta Herc remains stubbornly elusive for me, what sort of mag did you use?

Stu I used my 4.7mm ES which gives me 323X. I started with Pi Aquila and Mu Cygnus and both had clear light between them. Zeta Hercules was not so easy but I got time of stable seeing with showed the primary and secondary.

39 minutes ago, Size9Hex said:

Nice report and good work on zeta Hercules. I failed that one with 10" at 250x the other night. Looks a toughy!

Paul I tried for several years to split this double. That included a 10" Dob, 180mm Mak/Cass and my 4" APO although I never thought I would do it with this small aperture.

I've managed Zeta Herc a few times with my ED120. The Tak FC-100DL will split it as well. I've not tried it as yet with the TMB 130 but I strongly suspect that it will "go" with that one as well. My 12" dob splits it but the star images are not as clean and satisfying (to me) as those that the fracs put up.

Nice report, Mark.  I checked back through my notebooks and I managed to resolve Zeta Herc in a (poorly collimated) 220mm f/5 Newt back in 1996.  My notes say that it was "just resolvable" and I estimated seperation at 1.5" and PA at 025 - 030 degrees.  Mind you, I had younger, keener eyes back then and doubles were my thing.  Will be interested to try it in the 12" dob today and see how I get on.

Paul

I've just been having another look at Zeta Herc with my 100mm Tak. Split at 225x and even more so right up to 450x !!!

So much for 50x per inch - what an amazing scope :icon_biggrin:

10 hours ago, John said:

I've just been having another look at Zeta Herc with my 100mm Tak. Split at 225x and even more so right up to 450x !!!

So much for 50x per inch - what an amazing scope :icon_biggrin:

John it is clearly a fantastic scope. I never thought I would be able to split Zeta Hercules with my 4" Astro Tech but the Tak is a different league. Look forward to seeing it sometime.

Very interesting session Mark, I had omitted to include NGC 7129 in my own recent agenda list, as this is a reflection nebula it would be best I expect observed without a filter. Good observation concerning attempting the Cocoon. I included this in my own session recently. I was able to locate the small forming open cluster and detect a diffuse round glow, this was very subtle and more apparent if I gently nudged the scope. In preparation I had occupied the session with attempting to locate other faint nebula, waiting for the location of IC 5146 to culminate and for the sky to achieve its best SQM reading which on this night was 21.35. I was using a 31mm nagler and Lumicon H-beta filter for the task, which with the paracorr and 14" dob gave x59 mag and 5.84 exit pupil. I think that the large exit pupil is quite purposeful for this. 

Though I am sure this was neither dew or star reflection, It was perhaps one of those occasions in which having a companion around to help verify or convey a second opinion would be good. Perhaps under greater transparency its profile and contrast will become more apparent.

Good luck with further attempts (I might start a new Cocoon conversational thread).  

Thanks Iain that is really useful comments. Although I have a 30mm EP its not the best quality so I might invest in something better to give an exit pupil around the 6 mark. With regard to NGC 7129 I did observe this object without a filter because as you stated it is a reflection nebula.

Archived