NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Azimuth mount for 6" relfector

For my first telescope, I purchased an Orion Astroview 6EQ telescope.  The 150X750 optical tube, which weighs 14 lbs when loaded with a finderscope, eyepiece and Telrad finder,  is mounted on a equatorial mount.  While this rather weighty mount has been useful, there are occasions when I would prefer a less bulky, more portable mount.  I would very much appreciate recommendations for an azimuth mount that would fit my needs.  Thanks for any suggestions. 

The AZ4 will most definitely take more than 4lbs (assuming it's the same as the sywatcher AZ4, whcih I'm sure it is)

There are plenty of people on here using the AZ4 to mount a 150/750 newtonian. The steel legged version would be best but is more expensive.

Have a read of the reviews here... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/skywatcher-az4-alt-az-mount.html

The first thing that comes to mind is the Skywatcher az-eq5. Does both az and eq. Not sure if it would be lighter than your existing mount but it will handle the weight easily 

The Skywatcher AZ-4 is known as the Orion Versago II. It's capacity is a lot more than 4lbs. I have used scopes up to 20lbs on one but it's more comfortable with something in the 10-12lbs range. An F/5 6" newtonian is handled well by the mount.

Hello Jordan and welcome to SGL. I have the steel leg version of the skywatcher AZ4. I consider these great mounts, very sturdy and very versatile and quick and easy to use. I have mine mounted with a Skywatcher 120apo refractor and with diagonal and eyepiece takes the load (this is no light weight combination). A very capable mount. My understanding is that these mounts are suitable for a reflector of 150mm . So it should be fine .

I hope the above helps  ☺

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.  I note that no one has mentioned the Vixen Porta Alt-Az mount as a possibility for me.  From my reading of reviews, I would think that this might be a good choice.  Were I to go the vixen route, would I then have to obtain a wide -> narrow adapter plate to mount my OT?

I had a Vixen Porta before I had the AZ-4. The Vixen is a nice mount but does not have quite the capacity that the AZ-4 does. I think it might struggle with a 14lb F/5 6" newtonian on board.

10 minutes ago, Jordan Konisky said:

To perfectly Normal Beast.   When did you buy your Vixen?  The ones for sale now indicate a 20 lb capacity load.

Mine was a couple of years back - it was the Mk 1 Porta Mount. Maybe the capacity has increased a little with the Mk II. Over here the Mk II's are sold as having a 15lbs max payload capacity.

3 hours ago, Jordan Konisky said:

The Orion AZ4 supports a maximum load of 4 lbs.  My fully loaded optical tube weighs 14 lbs, so the AZ4 won't work for me. 

This is the mount i referred to and it will carry a 150mm newt with ease

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az4-alt-az-mount.html

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.  Having done some further reading on the internet, I agree with several of you that the Skywatcher AZ4 with steel legs looks like my best choice.  I do have one concern and that is its absence of micro-controls.  My current EQ mount has micro-controls which I use all the time to center an object in the cross hairs of my Telrad and/or finder scope.  I also use these controls to compensate for object drift, e.g. a planet, especially at higher magnification.  Is the absence of micro-controls on the AZ4 something that I need to worry about? 

Archived