Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing the Secret Deep + bit more

Last night was clear and we have astronomical darkness again :happy11:. I set up the 12" Dob and I wanted to test a recently acquired 20mm Myraid 100 degree EP plus a Lumicon UHC and O-III filter.

My observing programme last night was organised based on the 'Secret Deep' book by Steve O'Meare plus a few other favourites especially M16 and M17 where I wanted to try out my Lumicon filters.

I started with a difficult PN in Hercules IC 4593 - this PN is star like and could easily be missed - so armed with a O-III and a 4.7mm EP (mag 323x) this was resolved into a fuzzy object. Whilst still in Hercules I went to M13 wishing to see the galaxy NGC 6207. Using a 11mm ES (138x) I viewed M13 and had a great view of the Glob but what pleased me was able to see the Propeller. Using the 20mm Myriad I then viewed NGC 6207. Again still in Hercules I moved up to NGC 6229 a really nice Glob which made a nice triangle with two stars.

Moved over to Scutum to view NGC 6664 a open cluster next to Alpha - again I used the 20mm Myraid. When in Scutum I had to visit M11 Wild Duck Cluster - what a sight with the Myriad. Time to test the Lumicon filters on M16 and M17 - both filters gave similar views but excellent contrast - tried several EPs really pleased with the results.

Moved over to Aquila for a number of objects from the book. First up a small PN - NGC 6751 - again an O-III proved its worth. Then two open cluster in the same FOV - NGC 6755 and NGC 6756 - nicely resolved with the Myraid. Next another PN situated at the end of B139 but not shown in the S and T pocket atlas although I was using the Instellarium Deep Sky Atlas to star hop. Used the 8.8mm and 6.7mm with the Astronomik O-III to view this object. Up to a nice PN - NGC 6781 (Ghost of the Moon) - I have viewed this PN in the past but the view in the 12" was much better. Last object from the book was another PN - NGC 6804 which again was easy in the 12" with an O-III filter.

Finished the night viewing M57 and the Veil Neb using the Lumicon O-III able to see both parts in great detail as well aspects of Pickering's Triangle.

So a fantastic night, although it got a bit chilly wearing shorts!!! I am really pleased with the 12" (recently finished the bottom end of flocking) and the 20mm Myraid and my new Lumicon additions.

Archived