NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1st August Solar Ha

Pig

Incidentally August the 1st 1774 was the day Oxygen was discovered :hello: how useful is that ? More importantly it is the start to my holiday and a what a nice start with an unexpected hour of solar observing.

There isn't a great deal of sunspot activity on the surface this morning but there are still plenty of the swirling kaleidoscopic granulation patterns to be seen. The prominences are still going very strong and have morphed into some lovely delicate shapes giving lovely detail when zoomed in, a couple of areas are even starting to detach themselves. Unfortunately the cloud cover came back and spoiled things :icon_biggrin: never mind though as even small mercies are welcome.

Just now, Davey-T said:

Bet they were holding their breath hoping someone would invent it 

Going to rain here, serves me right you say :grin:

Dave

Yes LoL..... I think they also discovered blue lips and burst blood vessels :happy11:

2 hours ago, Pig said:

Incidentally August the 1st 1774 was the day Oxygen was discovered :hello: how useful is that ? More importantly it is the start to my holiday and a what a nice start with an unexpected hour of solar observing.

There isn't a great deal of sunspot activity on the surface this morning but there are still plenty of the swirling kaleidoscopic granulation patterns to be seen. The prominences are still going very strong and have morphed into some lovely delicate shapes giving lovely detail when zoomed in, a couple of areas are even starting to detach themselves. Unfortunately the cloud cover came back and spoiled things :icon_biggrin: never mind though as even small mercies are welcome.

Thanks Shaun.  I hope your clear skies continue for the rest of your holiday.  I wonder how everyone thought we managed to breath before the discovery of Oxygen?

I put the kit out anyway and managed to get a few peeks through the clouds but it's not looking promising for the rest of the day. That big filament is now working its way around the limb and when I looked at it through the Quark an hour ago I could see half a dozen loops in a straight line disappearing off the top left limb. It looked like the humps of the Loch Ness Monster :grin:

Archived