Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY5 Guider Question

I've just picked up a 2nd hand mono QHY5 which I am going to use with my straight through 9x50 finder to make a guide scope. Currently got an HEQ5 standard mount so need to do the handset mod to make an ST4 port on it. Am I right in thinking that I can just plug the QHY5 into the handset ST4 port so no GPUSB interface or similar in between, just a straight connection between the QHY5 and the handset ST4??

I could be wrong , but doesn't the st4 cable go from the mount

to the QHY5, then you need your guiding software on your computer

like PHD , then PHD tells the mount what corrections are needed.

as I said I could be wrong. but that's how I have mine set up.

Paul

42 minutes ago, ultranova said:

I could be wrong , but doesn't the st4 cable go from the mount

to the QHY5, then you need your guiding software on your computer

like PHD , then PHD tells the mount what corrections are needed.

as I said I could be wrong. but that's how I have mine set up.

Paul

I don't have the HEQ5 Pro so the QHY5 ST4 cable would go to the port I am going to make on the hand controller when I mod it. The QHY5 would be connected to the computer via PHD and I am assuming PHD will send instructions to the ST4 on the hand controller via the QHY5???

Hi ,

Remember a link with some instructions, I think you need GPUUSB to connect laptop to the handset.

http://www.rkblog.rk.edu.pl/w/p/how-guide-mount-phd/

Check this out, Hope this helps.

gd lk

Rush

Connecting mount to telescope

There are two (or even three) options to do this:

• ST-4 guide camera and ST-4 capable mount connected together (skip this section)
  • Guide camera without ST-4 port - you need to connect the mount to the computer and use ASCOM mount drivers (with RS-232 cable).
  • Guide camera without ST-4 port but Shoestring GPUSB ST-4 relaybox used to connect to the mount ST-4 port from a computer (skip this section)

For mounts like EQ6/HEQ5 SynScan you will need a RS-232 cable (available in some astro or electronic shops) and COM/RS-232 to USB adapter (electronic stores):

synscan-rs232

Connect RS-232 cable to the SynScan control panel using the available slot on the bottom. Then connect the COM to the COM/USB adapter, and that to the computer. To control the mount you need to use the ASCOM drivers (Celestron Unified for SkyWatcher and Celestron mounts).

NOTE: do NOT set the control to "PC Direct Mode". This is only if you want to use EQmod platform.

RS-232/USB adapter should be provided with a software to select a virtual COM port for the adapter to use. You need to select one, reboot and then use that COM port (like COM1) in the PHD mount settings.

Syntrek mount need a EQDir adapter to connect them to a PC. To control those mount you will need EQMod platform and software.

Mounts like Syntrek, SynScan and other with ST4 port may use a ST4 relay box like Shoestring GPUSB. You won't need fancy cable or adapters. Just USB to the computer and ST4 to the mount, and in PHD this device should be either on the ASCOM mount list (if it has ASCOM drivers) or selectable from the top mount platform menu (GPUSB type).

20 hours ago, bendiddley said:

I don't have the HEQ5 Pro so the QHY5 ST4 cable would go to the port I am going to make on the hand controller when I mod it. The QHY5 would be connected to the computer via PHD and I am assuming PHD will send instructions to the ST4 on the hand controller via the QHY5???

Yes, thats how it works with a basic handset. PHD sends commands back to the camera through the usb cable which are then forwarded to the ST4 port on the handset via a ST4 cable. If you have a goto mount such as the Synscan EQ mounts, which have the ST4 port, the ST4 cable from the camera would be connected here. 

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Yes, thats how it works with a basic handset. PHD sends commands back to the camera through the usb cable which are then forwarded to the ST4 port on the handset via a ST4 cable. If you have a goto mount such as the Synscan EQ mounts, which have the ST4 port, the ST4 cable from the camera would be connected here. 

Cheers.

Archived