NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can you see the spots?

Stu

With the sun looking pretty plain at the moment, the only thing to do is look for the less obvious features which may be visible.

This morning, in a clear spell I spotted a small spot within the faculae which has just rotated onto the limb and which I had been discussing with Michael earlier on. I was getting some nice seeing between the clouds, and the spot was very clear and faculae nicely defined.

I was also surprised to see three spots near the centre of the disk, one larger and one small and a tiny one next to it. I think this relates to an area of activity visible in Ha and probably CaK aswell. There are a couple of other areas of faculae viable too so it is well worth having a look to see if you can 'spot' them... (sorry!)

I've just been looking with my ED120 and Lunt wedge. As you say Stu, at 1st glance a plain disk but there is a small group of "spotlets" around the centre of the disk and I did spot some bright faculae towards the 11 o clock position.

I'm not sure whether the TMB 130mm would be too much for the 1.25" Lunt wedge so I've held back from sticking it on that scope for now.

That's a shame, the seeing seems to have dropped off a bit here now, but since I first looked, the centre group has changed. There is now the one larger spot, and what looks like three small pores in a line. There are also darker 'knots' in the granulation which look like they may become pores but not sure on these.

5 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

There's definitely something there albeit insignificant. This cropped from the latest continuum image on the Soho app. 

Thanks John. What are these guys playing at, millions of dollars to spend and the view in my humble Tak is much better ;)

Would be nice if there was a site which showed hi res images in continuum for reference. 

Stu

Are you using your Baarder wedge? My Lunt version runs out of puff when getting that close in.

Or, do I need to remortgage my soul to get a "Humble" Tak 100 to stick it on the business end of my wedge??

Paul

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks John. What are these guys playing at, millions of dollars to spend and the view in my humble Tak is much better ;)

Would be nice if there was a site which showed hi res images in continuum for reference. 

Tak ,thats very lardydar compaires to my humble st120 :icon_biggrin:. charl.

27 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Stu

Are you using your Baarder wedge? My Lunt version runs out of puff when getting that close in.

Or, do I need to remortgage my soul to get a "Humble" Tak 100 to stick it on the business end of my wedge??

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yep, the Baader Wedge. When I compared the two, I did notice that the Baader held up for higher mags than the Lunt, and showed the granulation at high mag better. That was in the Tak so I suspect it was more Baader than Tak, but the scope obviously has an input.

The ED120 is another option though, the extra aperture will compensate for most of the quality different I should think and distinctly less 'lardy da', much more 'come 'ere and have a gander at these peachy views guv' ;) 

I'm not averse to peaches.

But, my limited Astro pennies will be going into Ha, another zoom and wide nighttime eyepieces for the foreseeable... Then I have really really finished.

Although, I was hanging my nose over Derek's ED120 at SGLXI.

BTW - Plenty going on in Ha today.

Paul

3 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

I'm not averse to peaches.

But, my limited Astro pennies will be going into Ha, another zoom and wide nighttime eyepieces for the foreseeable... Then I have really really finished.

Although, I was hanging my nose over Derek's ED120 at SGLXI.

BTW - Plenty going on in Ha today.

Paul

I think Ha is a good move. I certainly miss not having that available to me.

The 120ED is a cracking scope for the money, very capable and just seems to do most things very well. I'm sure another (my third!) will cross my path at some point in the future.

Finished? Pah! Never!! ;) 

I've found the Lunt wedge does a little better in my Tak than it does in the Vixen. Good with both but when used in the Tak I notice a degree of detail in sunspot structure that was harder to pick out with the Vixen and stood up at higher magnifications as well. The penumbra areas had that "eyelash" type effect in moments of steady seeing with the Tak that I didn't notice as much with the Vixen.

I guess I ought to think about a Baader 2" Ceramic Wedge for the 130mm TMB but £500 is a lot to spend on a relatively quiet target. Maybe when the "action" picks up a bit ....

Archived