Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Please help identify strange blinking lights!

Hi all,

Yesterday night (02/07/2016) at 23:47h while I was at my back yard capturing some images of NGC 6888 something caught my attention, there was this huge "cluster" of blinking lights coming from north and passing slowly overhead, I rushed to get my camera and was able to take some images of these lights, I managed to get some decent images of the "light show", first thing that came to mind was chinese lanterns...but these do need a flame to get airborn, as the hot air gives them the lift, but this was different, the "cluster" was moving slowly and each of the components had a blinking light, the blinking as around 3 times per second and they all held a consistent flight path as if taken by the wind (very calm wind by the way, allmost zero at ground) but when I saw the images I can find some of them going in other directions, this event last for quite a bit, this cluster was visble for around 20 minutes, even when not seen with the naked eye anymore, with my binoculars I could see them perfectly all over the sky, what a sight!

So...any of you guys ever seen anything like this? If so did you get what it was? Only thing that comes to my mind is drones, but heck...so many??? And flying for so long...? I don't know much about drones but...this was plain weird!

Here the images:

First image I took hand held stabilizing the camera at the side of the wall:

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

Please comment and please don't start a little green man parody, serious constructive comments please!

Thank you! 

I'd go with the bird theory - a flock of migrating white birds at high altitude, underside of white wings would reflect light from a town a few miles away in time with beating wings. Unless someone comes up with a better idea :)

ChrisH

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your words :)

I've seen lots and lots of flocks of birds several times passing by and yes they can reflect lights and are visible by contrast under the night sky, but it was nothing like that, these were point sources and I could not resolve nothing except the light points with binoculars, I just don't know...maybe some baloons with led lights on them from some mariage party or something, afther all this was on a Saturday night :)  Party, party! :)

2 hours ago, symesie04 said:

It seems it may be due to insects which is what i kind of thought, just wasnt showing if any lived in Portugal but obviously they do. Your very lucky to see that sight along with some others it appears.

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/curious-sightings-in-cascais-night-sky/28849

Thanks for the links,

Some interesting reports for sure, it's plausible but for Fireflies they were too bright, and also the lights pulsated at very steady and equal intervals around 2 times per second (in one 5 sec. exposure there's 10 blinks) and all of them have the same blinks at the 5 sec. exposure so they are all in sync.

I've seen quite a lot of fireflies during the warm summer nights and they can put a great light show, but at near ground level and the lights are not nearly as bright and not pulsating in synchrony like we see here.

Well, this was very interesting to witness indeed but I guess...we can just guess :)

I´ve done some research and I found a fellow Portuguese astrophotographer that witnessed and photographed a very similar event, in fact it's even more spectacular then what I've seen, he did a time lapse with the images that show the movement of the lights, I will get in touch with him asking for his permission to get the images from him, so we can compare.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, symesie04 said:

Nice find. Now forgive me for being a humbug but Helium balloons really should be banned for lots of reasons.

Indeed, you are absolutely right! I can't even imagine how this can be allowed, I mean...isn't this dangerous for aircraft?? The worst part is that this seems to be gaining popularity around here and in Spain too it seems, they release a lot of them in beach parties, weadings,etc. ?

3 hours ago, Luis Campos said:

I've seen quite a lot of fireflies during the warm summer nights and they can put a great light show, but at near ground level and the lights are not nearly as bright and not pulsating in synchrony like we see here.

I dont wish to nit-pick and I bow to your prior knowledge of your type of fireflies ! However, just out of interest could you have been invaded by an alien :) ! An alien species I mean ;) !! Because just a few days ago there was an item on TV here of a display of fireflies that were pulsing in synchronicity ! Cant remember what variety nor where they were though, , , so this isnt much use really apart from curiosity !!

1 hour ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Agreed, Helium is a finite resource which is critical for many science purposes and once its gone its gone.

Continuing the not wishing to nit-pic theme ;)  , , That is not quite true, it is a radioactive decay product and the world supply is being replenished, , , what's that you say ? , ,  oh yes, patience is required, it aint very fast ;) I agree with your main point though :)

>> hat&coat >>>

6 hours ago, symesie04 said:

Nice find. Now forgive me for being a humbug but Helium balloons really should be banned for lots of reasons.

+1.  Limited resource the has important uses (e.g. MRI scanners).  And even though a new source has been found in Africa(?) we cannot afford to waste it of trivia.

I've not seen those particular devices but in the UK those Chinese Lantern things have caused significant damage in rural areas.

Ian

It seems that this is now a growing trend in many countries, specially in weading parties, hundreds of ballons are released and end up landing somewere taken by the wind, there's been an increasing number of "UFO" reports due to this :)

Now for the not so fun part, I was in shock to find out what it was, like if the ballons only were not plain bad for the environment now they have some small electronic board and a small lithium battery, now add thousands of them and you see what I mean, this is problematic and desctructive for the environment as many of these ballons and up on the ocean and can easily by mistaken for food by sea birds and such :(

Also not sure if this can be a problem with air trafic, not sure of the altitude these things can go but sure it's no fun for an helicopter or small aircraft to smash into a group of these ballons...

What's your opinion about this? Do you have this in also the UK or there's legislation for this?

Thanks in adavance,

I don't think I've seen these particular things in the UK so far. There isn't any control over Chinese Lanterns that I'm aware of, even though there have been reports of fires being started and livestock being injured.

One can only hope the lithium cell in the LED balloons gets them outlawed. Helium party balloons aren't considered a risk to aircraft, certainly not at cruising altitudes. They are designed to burst as they expand with altitude. Or more likely leak their helium away before they get to any great height. That in no way exonerates the wasteful use of helium though!

I'm not a party pooper. I actually quite like Chinese Lanterns aesthetically, but a line has to be drawn somewhere...

Archived