Narrowband

$300 for an EP you could use in town?

View2

When I ask myself if I'd  pay $300 for an Eyepiece that woul let me see well in the city, I have to say yes. Even if only to see stuff from town when don't want to drive for an hour. The R2 is less than a quality eyepiece after all. It just makes sense and sounds fun. Would the R2 work well with the ES 127mm APO ED triplet at f/7.5? I've heard MAKs at f/15 are better?

Thanks?

9 hours ago, View2 said:

When I ask myself if I'd  pay $300 for an Eyepiece that woul let me see well in the city, I have to say yes. Even if only to see stuff from town when don't want to drive for an hour. The R2 is less than a quality eyepiece after all. It just makes sense and sounds fun. Would the R2 work well with the ES 127mm APO ED triplet at f/7.5? I've heard MAKs at f/15 are better?

Thanks?

I don't know what an R2 eyepiece is, so I can't help. Maybe a link to the product page might help.

22 minutes ago, Lowjiber said:

It must be.

That looks just like my 2003-era StellaCam II from Astrovid. And the advertising matches it, too. They claimed one of these(StellaCams) would increase the equivalent aperture by a factor of 5X - turning a 12" telescope into a 60" telescope.

While somewhat true, they left out a few minor details<koff!>.....

Dave

You might want to read up on Cloudy Nights's user Eddgie's experiences with Gen3 image intensifiers when used in either mono or bino mode from within the city (Austin, TX, I believe).  Not cheap, but he seems to love them.

21 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

I don't know what an R2 eyepiece is, so I can't help. Maybe a link to the product page might help.

Apologies, R2 Revolution camera/monitor kit

• 3 weeks later...

The R2 is a very nice analog video camera which does quite well on DSOs.  While limited to 5sec exposures it can average 6 frames internally to reduce noise and bring out more detail.  It comes with a 0.5x focal reducer, UV-IR filter, LiIon battery, UTC hand control, 7" LCD monitor, cables and a carrying case for $300.  A very nice setup for a beginner, someone on a budget or for outreach.

Here are a couple of images I took with it at a dark site with a Celestron SE6 (6" SCT on an Alt-Az mount) using Sharpcap to stack frames.  M51 and M20 are 90sec stacks, M27 is a 60sec stack and M63 is a 5min stack.  Note, because Sharpcap can translate and rotate frames I could do this on an Alt-Az mount without star trailing.

Best Regards,

Curtis

M51  5sec 30db  6-29-16_Stack_372.jpg

M20  5sec 30db  6-29-16_Stack_356.jpg

M27  5sec 30db  6-29-16_Stack_230.jpg

M63  5sec 30db  6-29-16_Stack_1152.jpg

6 hours ago, denodan said:

I have a revolution and works great. This was taken by my phone off the 7" monitor that comes with it. No experience with deepsky photography and first night with it through my 10" goto Dob. 

20160428_205419.jpg

That's insane

I must put one on my 127mm APO ED triplet and see what I can stack. Does it stack on its own or do you have to process it on a computer? I think I read somewhere that it can't save files for transfer ?

Great pics folks

Thanks 

7 hours ago, View2 said:

I must put one on my 127mm APO ED triplet and see what I can stack. Does it stack on its own or do you have to process it on a computer? I think I read somewhere that it can't save files for transfer ?

Great pics folks

Thanks 

Like most security cameras it has DNR (Dynamic Noise Reduction) which allows it to average up to 6 frames inside the camera.  This is not the same as stacking since it is not summing the data, but averaging it.  Still, this process cleans up the background noise very nicely and as a result gives an image which shows more detail.  Maximum exposure is 5 sec so with DNR=6 it will average over 30sec.  DNR can be turned off or set to any number of frames up to 6.  No computer require.

Now, i you want to use a computer, just like any other analog video camera the composite video output is feed through a video capture device (like a Pinnacle Dazzle or equivalent) to the computer.  The image can be viewed, frames can be stacked and stretched and dark frames can be subtracted using software like the free Sharpcap.

Instead of repeating everything I wrote on CN, you can read more and see pictures of the camera kit here:  http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/537372-revolution-imager-r2/

Best Regards,

Curtis

Archived