Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8 inch reflector vs 6 inch cassegrain

Guys I have a question , I'm gonna buy a telescope really soon hopefully and I am struggling because i can't find any helpful thing in this area i will either buy an 8 inch dobsonian or a 6 inch cassegrain so can someone tell me which is better thank you 

It isn't really a case that one is better than the other, just that they are different. The 8 inch dob is a good all round scope with more light gathering power while the cassegrain will be more suited to planetary or small dsos due to the slow focal ratio but with a physically smaller size. The cassegrain will also be a lot more expensive, especially once you've factored in the cost of a mount on top.

A properly collimated 8" Newtonian will beat a 6" SCT handsomely, and a 6" Maksutov Cassegrain by a slightly smaller margin. Optical speed of the scope is largely irrelevant for visual. The figure of the optics is more important, as is the central obstruction. Aperture is however king. The only advantage of the smaller SCT or Maks is portability

Hello Asertesia  and welcome to SGL .It depends what you want from a scope. If portability is important then the 6" cassengrain will be ahead as it's more compact compared to the 8" reflector. And if you need to travel to a dark site then this maybe important to you. Also the reflector will probably need collimation more, but in my experience as long as a reflector does not get bumped around to much it's just usually a little tweaking now and again so I would not overly worry about this. But as you are talking about getting a 8" reflector (aperture rules on a like for like basis)then this IMO will certainly have the edge on overall performance. That 2inch extra of aperture will come into its own allowing more light into the scope , so bang for buck you will get a lot more for your money buying a reflector than a cassengrain. If you are looking for a reflector then I think a skywatcher 200p would be a good choice for your money if this available in your location. I hope this is helpful ☺

Archived