NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QSI 683

Astroboy239

Hello can anyone tell me about this camera? Is it good? My second hand atik 314l is coming along quiet good along with my new imaging rig (eq6 and 80ed) had decided heq5 first but it's latitude range made me pay extra but I will mostly benefit from the eq6 payload. I have enjoyed the ccd camera. Well I found about this QSI 683. Well I'm not gonna buy so soon I'll first image whatever I can with the atik and then mostly retire it to a guide camera. How are qsi cameras? Are they good? Can anyone share a few images. 

Varad 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a few Atik cameras and also QSI683, it is an excellent camera available in different configurations, with /  without guider and different filter wheel carousels.

One thing that stands out is the QSI cooling, something to consider if you live in a hot climate, my Atiks struggle in hot weather but the QSI flies down to -20 in no time.

Obviously they are not without their problems for some owners but no more than other makes and service from QSI is good.

Dave

As I had not done much ccd imaging I went for a second hand ccd. I've used my fiends ccd before it's also an qsi 500.the atik cools good. But I still get little noise as the temperature at my place is about 30degrees Celsius. I have decided to mostly get the 8 position filter wheel and off axis guider. 

The latitude range of a mount is not at all important. Contrary to popular belief the mount does not need to be levelled so if you are out of range you just tip the tripod north or south. You may need to add some counterweight to keep it stable but this is perfectly standard practice, particularly among northern latitude Takahashi mount owners. The mount does not know how you adjusted it to the Polaris altitude. There are no sensors on the tripod...

Olly

The QSI range are excellent and the QSI 683 in its various guises is extremely well thought of by the majority of users. Excellent cooling capabilities and, in the case of the WSG-8 version, a very nice Off Axis Guider and 8 slot filter wheel so that you have the capability of L/R/G/B/Ha/OIII/SII/Hb filters in a single wheel! A beautifully engineered camera.

The sensor is good. Generally speaking, the KAF series of sensors are noisier than the Sony ones, but the latter simple don't have the real estate. Personally, I never use darks with my two KAF-8300M cameras, just BIAS and flats.

/p

I think that you need to take a deep breath and concentrate on what you have got at the moment and get that working well. Do the research via the internet on the differences between sensors, spend time with the Field of View calculators out there learning the difference between the Kodak and the Sony sensors. Don't jump one way or another just because someone says one is better than the other. It's an expensive decision if you get it wrong.

QSI's are very good and they cool well. It works well for me out here in Spain with summer temps of 25 degrees or more. My Atik previously didn't cool well, but I have been informed that this was no doubt down to laws of physics and the fact that the Atik was a smaller cylindrical design.

I have a Moravian ready to test soon..... this looks promising so far and cooled well when I tested it. The issue for me with the Moravian is that they don't offer a complete all in one solution with an OAG and an 8 position internal filter wheel.

One point not mentioned is that QSI cameras can be water cooled. That means they willl be able to cool down to a lower temperature than on air cooling if it becomes necessary.  A bucket of water with some ice in it will be all that you need to run  a small12 volt DC pond pump to supply the flow.

Derek

Included in that cost they also supply nice software s such as maxim dl. 

Hmmm, only the LE version is supplied on the disk but you still have to pay extra for this too. However, they do supply great drivers for use with the full version of MaxIm LE

For  the version of maxim  provided to be of any real use you need the Full version not the Maxim le  or whatever it is called now. I had the cut down version and it could not do much. I ended up upgrading to the pro version. This can be bought a fair bit cheaper if bought when buying the QSI ccd camera. But it depends upon what you want or really need. Maxim DL has a steep learning curve, but worth it to me anyway.  The water cooling of the QSI is extra at cost for the cooling block and push fit fittings. But in a hot climate it should do the trick. You just need to shut off the air cooling fans when running on water cooling.

Derek

5 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

They give dl we have to pay for le that's what they show when I select on the buy option.

Varad  

There is something not quite right there. Maxim DL is the program. But there are variations of it. The versions are Basic 199, IP 299, DSLR 399,  Pro 499,  Pro Suite at 599 dollars. But you should get a discount when bought at the same time as buying a new QSI camera. Pro and Pro suite are the only versions that do most things necessary for a CCD camera as the other versions cannot control a filter wheel or use pinpoint for plate solving. IP cannot do so many things it is virtually a waste of time. DSLR cannot control a CCD. Basic is well, basically a waste of time. So only Pro and Pro Suite are the ones that will do what you want.  But there are other programs out there other imagers use and not so expensive.

Derek

13 minutes ago, Physopto said:

There is something not quite right there. Maxim DL is the program. But there are variations of it. The versions are Basic 199, IP 299, DSLR 399,  Pro 499,  Pro Suite at 599 dollars. But you should get a discount when bought at the same time as buying a new QSI camera. Pro and Pro suite are the only versions that doo most things necessary for a CCD camera as the other versions cannot control a filter wheel or use pinpoint for plate solving. IP cannot do so many things it is virtually a waste of time. DSLR cannot control a CCD. Basic is well, basically a waste of time. So only Pro and Pro Suite are the ones that will do what you want.  But there are other programs out there other imagers use and not so expensive.

Derek

One springs to mind. SG Pro from Main sequence Software. I have both Maxim & SG Pro and prefer the latter. For the price of MaximDL Pro (with Pinpont LE) you could purchase both SG Pro & Pinpoint Full Version.

Steve

The qsi also has a good sized sensor. This ccd makes me select it due to its filter wheel. I can also connect a lense to it like the Canon and still use all filters unlike others. But still your opinions are open. 

Varad 

17 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

The qsi also has a good sized sensor. This ccd makes me select it due to its filter wheel. I can also connect a lense to it like the Canon and still use all filters unlike others. But still your opinions are open. 

Varad 

Careful there!  The QSI with off axis guide prism and filter wheel cannot be fitted with a Canon lens and come to focus. You have to remove the filter wheel cover and fit a seperatable slim cover without the filter wheel if I remember  correctly. 

From QSI website:

QSI 600 Series camera WS-8 cover, includes T-mount adapter, threaded cap and mounting screws. In conjunction with one of the QSI SLR Lens Adapters, Canon and Nikon DSLR lenses can be used with the WS cover for taking wide field exposures. The WS-8 and WSG-8 covers can be easily swapped just by removing the screws holding the cover to the body. The WS-8 cover does not include upgrading to the 8-position filter wheel. 

Derek

Archived