Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars sketch 22/6/16

Moonshane

Very nice!  There's some very subtle detail in that sketch that corresponds perfectly with the central meridian, which at 11pm bst (2200ut), was 233.26°. That really is a lovely sketch! :thumbsup:

I was clouded out! :clouds1:

Mike

Pretty impressive comparison with Calsky Shane, really nice work.

I think I will try to move my Vixen GP mount down to the bottom of the garden where I get a better view of Mars, as you say, having tracking really helps. I've no idea how you sketch and nudge the scope at the same time!

I'll definitely be investing in a tracking mount when funds allow. I have even considered selling my 26mm Nagler as I have a 24mm Panoptic and could raise enough for a decent mount with the proceeds. I hardly seem to get chance to use the Nagler these days and a tracking mount would definitely get more use.

I'm wondering about a tracking mount for my new fracs as well. Nothing to heavy or complex but I can see the benefits of being able to concentrate on the view rather than keeping it there !

I wish there was a tracking mount for heavier / longer scopes that could work off a 9v PP3 battery like my old Celestron C8 plus used to.

I guess an equatorial platform can do that :icon_scratch:

Nice sketch Shane. Had similar views here for a couple of hours last night - the first for some time. I was using the grab 'n go outfit with my 100ED and non-tracking Portamount. I could see the two darker areas that you have noted. Didn't try a sketch myself - just glad to see the planet again after too much rain and too many clouds

Kerry 

Archived