NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Motorised-Focuser for 150PL

Stub Mandrel

Hi, Neil. Don't often find myself in the DIY section so my question may seem dumb.

Skywatcher do an 'Auto Focuser' for the Skyliner 150 which I fitted to mine (before changing to a Moonlite). Is that the sort of thing you mean? If you Google auto focuser, you'll see it on the Tring website, I think.

11 hours ago, Floater said:

Hi, Neil. Don't often find myself in the DIY section so my question may seem dumb.

Skywatcher do an 'Auto Focuser' for the Skyliner 150 which I fitted to mine (before changing to a Moonlite). Is that the sort of thing you mean? If you Google auto focuser, you'll see it on the Tring website, I think.

"Note: If your telescope's focuser does not have removable focus knobs this product will not be suitable." :-/

On one of my scopes I just used a timing belt running on the 10:1 knob, turning it by friction.  A small stepper motor with timing pulley drove it.

It does come off its glued on - I drilled mine(sw250) to fit a diy direct fit focuser but then found out that its just held on with very strong glue - note it does have a thread - guess the glue is just to "bung" things up.

59 minutes ago, stash_old said:

It does come off its glued on - I drilled mine(sw250) to fit a diy direct fit focuser but then found out that its just held on with very strong glue - note it does have a thread - guess the glue is just to "bung" things up.

I'll see if I can get the rubber off and then use some gently heat from a rework gun to see if I can soften the glue.

An idea i have is to get a small toothed belt and "turn it inside out" so that the teeth are on outside then fit this to focuser wheel, then a second belt to a motor, keep planning on doing this with 150 pro mak

Archived