NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A budget ccd

Hello, can anyone recommend me a cheap ccd camera for a beginner for deep sky. I feel I have to move to a better camera from my dslr along with my new ap equipment. Can I get help here? 

Thankyou 

Varad 

If you want a chip size remotely similar to the DSLR and you want to do narrowband, then a camera with the KAF8300 chip is going to be your starting point i would expect. There is a new camera out there (The ZWO ASI1600 MM) but there's not many folks using them yet, so you'd be an early adopter really.

You then need to think about the filters and the sizes and also you'll need a filter wheel.

1 hour ago, Astroboy239 said:

One of the first thing is noise, 

Sensitivity 

Narrowband 

These are powerful reasons for wanting to go to CCD. A friend has just bought a used Atik 383 monochrome for £800. I ran off sets of darks on it and the chip seemed very good indeed.

Olly

At Lat 15 you just do need a cooled camera.

In my commercial astronomy enterprise I use the following items bought second hand:

2 x Takahashi FSQ106N refractors.

1 x TEC 140 refractor.

1 x TeleVue Pronto refractor.

1 x 20 inch Dobsonian.

2 x Meade 10 inch SCTs.

1 x Leica Trinovid binocular.

1 x Takahashi EM200 mount.

1 x TeleVue Gibraltar mount.

1 x Mesu 200 mount.

1 x TeleVue Ethos eyepiece.

In US dollars that represents a saving of perhaps $30,000 over new price. What is wrong with this equipment? Nothing whatever.

Olly

On 15-6-2016 at 18:12, Astroboy239 said:

I really hate noise, my dad just wont let me buy second hand I wanted to buy second hand tho. He believes in new stuff?. Dslr gives a lot of noise I'm my weather. 

Varad 

well.. if your dad pais the difference, there is nothing to complain about...:hello2:

Archived