NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Final battle for a good reliable portable mount. Avx vs HEQ5

Astroboy239

This is my last gathering on info on which mount to buy,  The avx or heq5

When I checked the avx many people said their mounts were not functioning properly. The heq5 is a big heavy but can carry more load and is compatible with ascom. I don't have a problem of paying extra for something that will be a good investment. Help me out

Varad 

31 minutes ago, Astroboy239 said:

This is my last gathering on info on which mount to buy,  The avx or heq5

When I checked the avx many people said their mounts were not functioning properly. The heq5 is a big heavy but can carry more load and is compatible with ascom. I don't have a problem of paying extra for something that will be a good investment. Help me out

Varad 

I wouldn't call the HEQ5 a heavy mount. It is what I would call a very basic and very good mount for its weight and size. Probably the minimum capabilities needed for good imaging with most reasonable weight scope and camera equipment combinations.

Derek

I'd go for the AVX - I really like the all sky polar alignment, it imaged perfectly well with my AltAir 115mm, AltAir 60mm Finder Guider, and it's many unique design features make it really easy to use.

I haven't had any operational issues with my AVX.

David

On 12 June 2016 at 11:27, Astroboy239 said:

Most people recommend the heq5 tho. 

Probably because it's been around longer and been used by more people.

I've used both and there really is very little between them. Am perfectly happy with my AVX but equally can understand why others would promote the HEQ5.

Tom.

I am looking to move from the AVX to either an HEQ 5 or EQ6.

I have had the AVX for nearly two years now and it has been okay. General alignment and goto is good but I cannot guide well for more than 5-7mins. I have a Polemaster which whilst it has sped up my alignment routine my guiding remains largely the same.
I have stretched to 10mins on occasions but it’s far from perfect.

I have also spent a considerable amount of time trying to fine tune the guiding for this mount. This includes extensive balancing, physically checking the gears, PHD v1 & V2 settings. I am even currently trying different Guide Rates as noted on the thread below. Someone on the thread below stated they can get 900 secs by switching the guide rates to 99 on both RA & DEC which is impressive. But early testing by me has not resulted in any difference at all. If in fact it just makes my DEC worse. Though I now need clear skies now to carry out a couple more tests before throwing the towel in on the mount:

http://www.astronomyforum.net/astro-imaging-forum/196264-mount-autoguiding-rates.html

I do not know of anyone else getting more than 10mins from an AVX and now I have a CCD I want to push this further, that’s one of the major reasons for going to a CCD.
I know of a few people on this Forum who have the same OTA and kit as me who are getting up to 30mins guided with the HEQ5.
I think some of the problem is that the max imaging load which as far as I can see for the AVX is 7KG, I am loading it with 6.9KG. Perhaps this is reason? That said with my DSLR I had better results but again never more the 10mins and this weighed in at about 4.5KG.

This all said the mount is pretty light / portable and for Goto the ASPA was a God send before I got a Polemaster. Of course a Polemaster needs a laptop so if you are not looking to hook up a laptop then the ASPA is your friend. (beware of the latest Firmware as the previous one screwed up ASCOM!!) Just make sure you do the ASPA correctly. If you are getting zeros across the board when you perform Polar Alignment then you are missing out some steps. Seems to me that the Skywatchers will offer better future proofing if you interested in imaging at a later date.

Hope this helps…

On 6/14/2016 at 10:52, Droogie 2001 said:

I do not know of anyone else getting more than 10mins from an AVX....................

I guided regularly for 15-20 min with the AVX ..no problem ...with the set up mentioned earlier in this thread

If you're trying to decide between and EQ-6 (as you mention in your post) and the AVX then I think you'd be advised to go for the EQ-6 everytime

But

The reason people like me use the AVX is portability - I have an NEQ-6 in my observatory but wouldn't dream of lugging it into the field

...and using my AVX in the field has worked really well - is it better than the HEQ-5? Don't know - don't own one :-) but the AVX works perfect in my experience.

David

8 hours ago, David_L said:

I guided regularly for 15-20 min with the AVX ..no problem ...with the set up mentioned earlier in this thread

If you're trying to decide between and EQ-6 (as you mention in your post) and the AVX then I think you'd be advised to go for the EQ-6 everytime

But

The reason people like me use the AVX is portability - I have an NEQ-6 in my observatory but wouldn't dream of lugging it into the field

...and using my AVX in the field has worked really well - is it better than the HEQ-5? Don't know - don't own one :-) but the AVX works perfect in my experience.

David

That's certainly encouraging. Hopefully its my lack of ability or maybe there is something wrong with my mount. My guiding in DEC is excellent but my RA will suddenly spike, does not appear to be any pattern.

What payload were you adding?
Rather than turning the OP thread into troubleshooting my mount perhaps I can PM you for some more advice?

Thanks

35 minutes ago, Astroboy239 said:

I've actually already made up my mind for the heq5 for its futur proofing, build quality and durability. 

Varad 

I'm sure you won't be disappointed :-) Good luck - look forward to seeing your images.

Archived