NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Had a good session last night - saw at least 5 globulars

Last night, after a hot muggy day, a cold front passed through and produced a good, clear sky and the weather was cool and dry. Took out my bins and my zero gravity chair and started viewing the small sliver of sky to my north and south. I ended up seeing the triangle of Mars, Saturn and Antares. Obviously, I can only see them separately in the bins. I also saw at least 5 globular clusters (after I moved my session to my deck), so I could see a little more to my east. The globulars included M4 (near Antares), M13 and M92 in Hercules and 2 others. I was only out about 45 minutes, but it was a very satisfying session.

Yes Globulars are  fascinating  objects, and especially when they can be resolved fully, and reveal their true nature
Always a surprise for someone you show them to, and explain what it is they are actually seeing so very very far away.
Of course M13 is the prince of Globs here in the Northern Hemisphere, but it's companion in Hercules is not far behind it as a spectacular sight.
Each observer has his or her favourite viewing targets, but Globs must rate high with most. I love em,
I love the Scutum Star Clouds too,  and buried in their is the Wild Duck cluster M11.
You certainly enjoyed your session with your Binos relaxed in your chair. A lovely way to spend a Summer evening :icon_biggrin:.

i just love it when those cold fronts sweep through in the summer in Georgia: lower humidity and clear skies. Sometimes, I pull out the Big Mak 180 for some high power planet busting, or the reflector for those spacewalk experiences, or my Lil' Mak 127 for both planets and brighter DSOs. Or, I just simply lie back in my lawn chair and gaze in awe. Being a musician, I have set up my synthesizer in the backyard and serenaded the stars from time to time (with headphones on)! Sounds like a truly satisfying observing session. Thanks for sharing it!

3 hours ago, orion25 said:

i just love it when those cold fronts sweep through in the summer in Georgia: lower humidity and clear skies. Sometimes, I pull out the Big Mak 180 for some high power planet busting, or the reflector for those spacewalk experiences, or my Lil' Mak 127 for both planets and brighter DSOs. Or, I just simply lie back in my lawn chair and gaze in awe. Being a musician, I have set up my synthesizer in the backyard and serenaded the stars from time to time (with headphones on)! Sounds like a truly satisfying observing session. Thanks for sharing it!

You're welcome. It's very interesting that you compose music, while observing.

18 hours ago, DemosL said:

You're welcome. It's very interesting that you compose music, while observing.

Yes, it's a different observing (and compositional) experience. Check this out, a piece originally composed while observing, later recorded with extra parts in my project studio and added to a video image of my original inspiration, Mars:

Very cool! I have a 4 track recorder which I used to record acoustic and electric guitars along with a Casio keyboard. I haven't done that in many years. You may have inspired me to resume my recordings.

Archived