NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunt SS versus DS

All advice welcome......

I have the Lunt LS50THa and keep fettling with the desire to get a double stack.

I hear it can be fiddly to set properly - internal reflections can be a pain - not worth the extra.......blah blah.....

And yet I can't stop wanting one:happy7:

Who is right & who is wrong?

I had a double stack filter for my Lunt LS60. It really intensifies the views of filaments and other disc details. It is worth the extra cost in my opinion. The extra faffing? Well there isn't much really. The trick was to "tune" the view in single stack mode first, then attach the DS filter, then use the tuner on the DS filter to tily the internal reflection out of the field of view. Simples.

It's expensive, but worth it. In particular it dramatically improves filaments - darker, more contrast, 3D effect - and other surface detail. Tuning and 'clocking' the filter is not a chore - it's part of the attraction, squeezing the best out of the telescope. 

I first got the SolarMax-II 60mm without DS unit. Later I got a secondhand DS unit for a very reasonable price. I now almost exclusively use it in DS mode. Here is the difference

Single stack

sun29052016mosaicSS.jpg

Double stack:

sun29052016mosaic.jpg

Note that the odd, elliptical internal reflections in the DS image only appear in combination with the tele-centric Barlows I use, they are not visible without. Maybe there is some dust in the optical path causing this. I have never seen them through the EP

14 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I first got the SolarMax-II 60mm without DS unit. Later I got a secondhand DS unit for a very reasonable price. I now almost exclusively use it in DS mode. Here is the difference

Single stack

sun29052016mosaicSS.jpg

Double stack:

sun29052016mosaic.jpg

Note that the odd, elliptical internal reflections in the DS image only appear in combination with the tele-centric Barlows I use, they are not visible without. Maybe there is some dust in the optical path causing this. I have never seen them through the EP

wish i didnt see this now.......got me thinking of a new purchase :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah well - DS is utterly AMAZING.

WOW!

First peek through it yesterday and it blew me away.

Not hard to set - tune first, add DS and set it - result stunning.

I didn't manage an image as the clouds kept rolling over and it needs new camera settings, which I couldn't get because of said clouds! Grrrr!

Still, totally happy with it.

Keith

Archived