Just ordered a new Baader Morpheus 14mm

After being frankly disappointed with my Pentax XW14 in my scope, and doing a lot of reading up on possible replacements, I narrowed it down to 3 choices..Delos, Delite and Morpheus.

I should say that I set the bar quite high, as I previously used a Nagler T6 and Meade 4000 14mm UWA. I sold the Nagler (great eyepiece but very tight eye relief) in favour of the Meade (a wonderful eyepiece that although old now still performs with the big boys), which I found much more comfortable to use, but it was such a heavy beast (whereas the Nagler is a featherweight) and I wanted something in between, hence the XW14.

I have XL 5.2 and 10.5's which I love and are superb in my Vixen ED103s F7.7, but I had real problems with the 14mm XF with kidney beaning and field curvature. A shame, as it was a lovely unit ergonomically. I also have the XW20mm which I'm still making my mind up about (the problem in this one is edge of field blurriness, a real surprise to me). It could be my scope, but I actually think my ES24mm 68 is as good or better so far- I need more time to properly compare.

So, why the Morpheus and not Delos or Delite?

Well, the Delos is just out on price at c£270 new with shipping. If I could find a used one at c£150-££160 at 14mm that might well have been my choice, by all accounts a wonderful range. But there have been precious few of them coming onto the used market so far at that focal length.

The Delite is a bit cheaper at c£195-£200 new, and again said to be a cracking eyepiece, but having got to really like the 68-70 deg fov range with most of my other EPs I didn't really want to go backwards in focal length down to 62 degrees, and also the Delite is a fair bit lighter than my other EPs too, so I wanted to minimise any rebalancing issues.

So to the Morpheus 14mm. As a starting point I rate Bill Paolini's reviews both here and on CN, and he clearly has been deeply impressed with the Morpheus range..he rates it better than the XW14 in his review.

Next, the Morpheus most closely matches the XW14 in weight (12.7oz vs 12.9oz for the XW14).

Third, it has the biggest field stop at 18.85mm and the huge 35mm diameter eye lens. It also has a 76 deg field but for me that's not vital, I'm happy with 68-70 deg.

Next, I really like the innovative areas such as the safety kerfs, adapter threads etc. Baader do think about their designs, as do Tele Vue of course.

And finally, at £154 new, shipped from FLO this represents wonderful value for money. They are quoting 7-10 days for delivery.

The only real negative I've read is the flimsy eyecup(s), but that's not a deal breaker for me.

Well, that's my reasoning..I have high hopes for this new EP, but of course the proof of the pudding will be in the eating! I will post my thoughts once its been received and tested:-)

Dave

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the Morpheus 14mm for a while (and the Meade Series 5000 14mm UWA: great EP but a bit tight on ER). The Morpheus has great sharpness over most of the field, but the very outer edge wasn't fully sharp. Really comfortable to use.

Here are my impressions of the Morpheus

A really nice EP, but I did finally exchange it for a Delos 14mm. That definitely has an edge at the edge of the FOV, but is of course a lot more expensive.

18 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I had the Morpheus 14mm for a while (and the Meade Series 5000 14mm UWA: great EP but a bit tight on ER). The Morpheus has great sharpness over most of the field, but the very outer edge wasn't fully sharp. Really comfortable to use.

Here are my impressions of the Morpheus

A really nice EP, but I did finally exchange it for a Delos 14mm. That definitely has an edge at the edge of the FOV, but is of course a lot more expensive.

Hi Michael,

How far from the edge would you say was not sharp in the Morpheus versus the Delos? Taking into account the 76 degree fov of the latter vs the 72 of the Delos?

Dave

Just now, F15Rules said:

Hi Michael,

How far from the edge would you say was not sharp in the Morpheus versus the Delos? Taking into account the 76 degree fov of the latter vs the 72 of the Delos?

Dave

Hard to say, as I had sold the Morpheus to fund the Delos, so never had them side-by-side. I almost feel that if they had reduced it to a 70-72 deg FOV it would have been fine, so it should certainly be a step up from the 14 XW in those terms.

I've now got Michael's Morpheus, and I love it - except from the eyecup, as mentioned, if only they had gone with a twist up.

I love the contrast it gives, I don't really notice any edge distortion, but then I'm no where near as experienced as Michael and haven't tried very many eyepieces.

I'll be interested to read your thoughts on the Morpheus 14 Dave :icon_biggrin:

I was considering the XW14 and 20 to complete my 1.25" XW set but having experienced the field curvature of the XF12 I'll probably go down the Delos 14 / Panoptic 24 route in due course. These are for use in my Tak FC100.

It's interesting how some folks love the 14 and 20 XW's and some don't but most are agreed about the shorter focal length XW's.

50 minutes ago, John said:

I'll be interested to read your thoughts on the Morpheus 14 Dave :icon_biggrin:

I was considering the XW14 and 20 to complete my 1.25" XW set but having experienced the field curvature of the XF12 I'll probably go down the Delos 14 / Panoptic 24 route in due course. These are for use in my Tak FC100.

It's interesting how some folks love the 14 and 20 XW's and some don't but most are agreed about the shorter focal length XW's.

Hi John

Yes, I thought, having recently got a good spread of Pentax's including the 14 and 20mm, that I was all set.

I was really surprised at the problems I had with kidney beaning with the 14mm, along with the FC..to be honest I could probably have lived with the field curvature, I do get a bit of that in the Vixen F7.7, but the kidney beaning drove me nuts, and I couldn't get rid if of no matter what height I adjusted the eyecup to.

I don't have that problem with the 20mm, but I do get some fuzziness at about 90% out from the centre, again that surprised me given the XW reputation..

I am delighted with the 5.2 and 10.5 XLs, sharp to the very edge and their 65 deg field is fine for me. All they lack vs the XW it seems to me is 5 deg of fov and no waterproofing (which is probably why the rotating eyecup on the XLs feel much "loosed" than those on the XWs, due to the lack of an O seal..

I do find myself agreeing that up to 10mm the XW/XLs are tops, with longer focal lengths probably best provided by TV..and, I hope, the new Morpheus! ( I exclude the XW 30 and 40mm which sound fantastic but cost a fortune- if you can find one!)

Dave

PS so you got a Tak now! Excellent! Any links to a review or write up??:-)

46 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Hi John

Yes, I thought, having recently got a good spread of Pentax's including the 14 and 20mm, that I was all set.

I was really surprised at the problems I had with kidney beaning with the 14mm, along with the FC..to be honest I could probably have lived with the field curvature, I do get a bit of that in the Vixen F7.7, but the kidney beaning drove me nuts, and I couldn't get rid if of no matter what height I adjusted the eyecup to.

I don't have that problem with the 20mm, but I do get some fuzziness at about 90% out from the centre, again that surprised me given the XW reputation..

I am delighted with the 5.2 and 10.5 XLs, sharp to the very edge and their 65 deg field is fine for me. All they lack vs the XW it seems to me is 5 deg of fov and no waterproofing (which is probably why the rotating eyecup on the XLs feel much "loosed" than those on the XWs, due to the lack of an O seal..

I do find myself agreeing that up to 10mm the XW/XLs are tops, with longer focal lengths probably best provided by TV..and, I hope, the new Morpheus! ( I exclude the XW 30 and 40mm which sound fantastic but cost a fortune- if you can find one!)

Dave

PS so you got a Tak now! Excellent! Any links to a review or write up??:-)

I do not think the Morpheus will show kidney-beaning. I never had a problem with eye position with it. Very comfortable, and practically parfocal with the XWs (slight tweak of the fine control needed). The Delos 14mm is a bit further out. This is OK for me, because it sits between the Nagler 12T4, and Nagler 17T4, not between two XWs as in your case.

Sorry to here of your problems with the pentax Dave.  As far as a 20mm goes you do not need to spend high, you cannot get much better than a 20mm meade/es/max 68deg and forget the fact they are only £60.  Mine is sharp to the edge in my run of the mil 102ed F7, and does not deteriorate in my cheap as chips st80 at F5 - it's that good ! It has little field curvature, much less than the 24mm version.  It should be top notch in your vixen.

andrew

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

All they lack vs the XW it seems to me is 5 deg of fov and no waterproofing (which is probably why the rotating eyecup on the XLs feel much "loosed" than those on the XWs, due to the lack of an O seal..

The Pentax XLs are sealed just like the XWs.  Both were intended for use in sealed Pentax spotting scopes.  I've had stiff and loose feeling XL and XW eyecups, and it has nothing to do with waterproofing because both just sit on the outside of the watertight optics barrel.

The XWs do have slightly better coatings rendering a blacker background sky at the same magnification.  I'd also add that the XLs are easier to hold the view with than the XWs.  I've never had blackout issues with the XLs while I'm always fighting with the XWs (and to a lesser extent, the Delos).

The XLs also don't recess their eye lenses by 3mm like the XWs do.  Because the Delos also don't recess their eye lenses and have the same diameter eye lens, I find them easier to hold the view with than the XWs when wearing eyeglasses.

1 minute ago, F15Rules said:

I do love my XLs!

I love mine too.  It's coming on 20 years since I bought them new.  Since I couldn't afford a whole set back then, I've gradually filled in the gaps with XWs and Delos over the years.  I've also got some Nagler T4s and other miscellaneous eyepieces at other focal lengths.  Still, the XLs hold their own quite well despite their age.

3 hours ago, andrew63 said:

Sorry to here of your problems with the pentax Dave.  As far as a 20mm goes you do not need to spend high, you cannot get much better than a 20mm meade/es/max 68deg and forget the fact they are only £60.  Mine is sharp to the edge in my run of the mil 102ed F7, and does not deteriorate in my cheap as chips st80 at F5 - it's that good ! It has little field curvature, much less than the 24mm version.  It should be top notch in your vixen.

andrew

I agree Andrew, I have the ES24 and 34 68s and rate them very highly. Dare I say it (and only after a couple of short sessions) I think I might prefer the ES24 to the XW20??!!

Dave

Congrats Dave. I do like the look of the Morpheus's big fish bowl of an eyelens! Very interested in your thoughts once you've had it in that lovely Vixen of your a couple of times :)  

I have a 14mm Morpheus, although so far I've only used it on my Explorer 130M (for 193x), I mainly intend to use it on my 9.25" Evolution (for 168x). I used it for planetary viewing (Mars Opposition, Moon, Saturn, Jupiter) combined with a TV x3 Barlow. To be honest I was pretty blown away with the views I got. Especially Mars and the Moon.

14mm Baader Morpheus - Copy.jpg

I found it tended to kidney bean, which may be a lot to do with the fact it was permanently in the TV Barlow, but I discovered I could adapt to it and could eventually observe without any detrimental effects. I also replaced the eyecup with the winged one that comes with it, which seemed to help for some reason. Not so sure about the safety kerfs though, they look like they have all the efficacy of a chocolate EQ mount.

33 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

I found it tended to kidney bean, which may be a lot to do with the fact it was permanently in the TV Barlow, but I discovered I could adapt to it and could eventually observe without any detrimental effects.

Did you see a clear kidney bean shape dark shadow or blackout, i.e general changing of size and shape of darkness? Blackout is quite common with EP's with long ER when one has difficluty in hold the eye in right position. A 2x barlow increases ER around 20% some EP even more if EP's focal plane is higher up, and 3x barlow's increase will be even more.

19 minutes ago, YKSE said:

Did you see a clear kidney bean shape dark shadow or blackout, i.e general changing of size and shape of darkness? Blackout is quite common with EP's with long ER when one has difficluty in hold the eye in right position. A 2x barlow increases ER around 20% some EP even more if EP's focal plane is higher up, and 3x barlow's increase will be even more.

It tended to kidney bean even without the Barlow when I first (daylight) tested it. I found that it can be adapted to though. I guessed the Barlow would increase the eye relief somewhat. It still gave me some superb 'spaceship porthole' type views of the Moon. I'm impressed by the 14mm Morpheus, it's definitely a keeper anyway, and considerably cheaper than a Delos. It does have some similarities to a Delos I find, except the Delos doesn't kidney bean.

If you see the kidney bean shape darkness clearly, then it's the so-called "kidney bean" effect, caused by the large spheric aberration at exit pupil. Otherwise the phenomina is called "blackout", caused by long ER. I presume that you don't wear glasses?

13 hours ago, Mak the Night said:

I found it tended to kidney bean, which may be a lot to do with the fact it was permanently in the TV Barlow

I'll believe you.  I've induced kidney beaning in my Pentax XLs with my TV 2X barlow.  The barlow throws off the entry pupil to the eyepiece which gets translated into spherical aberration of the exit pupil.  Another reason to use a telecentric barlow like a Powermate.

Archived