Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crayford focusers

Can anybody offer advice as to which crayford would be most suitable for my Skywatcher 200, I'm tempted by the moonlite CR 1 or 2, (is the dual speed really necessary or am I just suffering from Rack & pinion fatigue). Alternatively if the single speed moonlite is more than adequate, how about the skywatcher replacement?

John

Hi

Also consider the Baader Steeltrack focuser, it's their "copy" of a Feathertouch and it's nearly as good build quality wise. I just bought one for a new scope and it's actually smoother than my Feathertouch and initial tests show it's got about the same weight handling capacity. Nearly the same price as the Moonlite but looks to be a bit more durable.

One big advantage of a dual speed focuser on a Dob is that when using the slow speed knob it takes such a light touch that there's virtualy no vibration of the scope while focusing.

John

Hi

I'm in Oakwood, north side of Derby.

I just checked to see if it would fit the Skywatcher and now realise that the Skywatcher has that oversize hole in the OTA for the focuser so while the Baader could be fitted after drilling 4 new mounting holes you would need to make up a cover plate to fit in between the focuser and the OTA to cover up where the hole shows slightly at the sides. The Skywatcher focuser has a square mounting base and the Baader has a rectangular one.

John

6859_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Hi

Skies aren't that bad although views are obscured to the south.

I've just noticed that Telescope Service does a base to fit the Baader onto GSO dobs http://www.telescope-service.com/ATM/focusers.html#BASTN2 and they say they can fit some others so you might try contacting them to see if they can fit the Skywatcher.

John

John,

I've also got a single speed CR1 Moonlite fitted to a Celestron Newt 8) - bit expensive but well engineered and I can recommend. No modification or drilling required. If you order from Steve at First Light Optics he will advise so that you get the correct spacer(s) for your needs. :)

I think Antares also do a dual speed Crayford for Newts which is well regarded: -

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/antares/telescope-focuser/newtonian/crayford.hml

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/detail.php?id=2097

More expensive at Rother Valley but you may want to search SGL or other astro forums regards feedback on Scopes and Skies before you commit :lol: . RVO may discount or try to price match if you ask???

HTH

Bill£ :lol:

This is probably too basic for you but if you just want a cheap upgrade to the R+P focuser how about the Skywatcher Crayford which is now supplied with the 200 scope.

I like mine and whilst it may not be a moonlight it is also only £59.00 and guaranteed to fit.

Has a SLR adapter too.

Archived