SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Crazy Craters

mikeDnight

I've been observing the moon for decades and last night I decided to try my hand at astro photography, or astro butchery if you prefer. On view was one of my favourite craters WURZELBAUER. Situated a little north of Tycho, Wurzelbauer is a truly Crazy Crater. Why? Because it has a human face looking a bit like Stan Laurel or Popeye smiling back at you. In the telescope the face is very well defined and detailed. In my attached image its soft and not very impressive, but I was hand holding my tablet to the eyepiece with difficulty. See if you can pick out the smiley face in the image. May be you have your own crazy crater experience!

Mike :icon_cyclops_ani:

2016-05-15 22.01.33.jpg

I love the craters on the 'seas' as they look like a stone has been dropped on some soft talcum powder, also like finding craters within craters.  Only learning at the moment so don't know any names yet. 

image.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Peco4321 said:

I love the craters on the 'seas' as they look like a stone has been dropped on some soft talcum powder, also like finding craters within craters.  Only learning at the moment so don't know any names yet. 

image.jpeg

Bottom right you have the Montes Alpes mountain range, they are a casting nice shadows which my daughter always refers to as looking like icicles.  Nice pic, what did you use?

I see the face. If I squint. Maybe. 

I love Cleomedes to the North of Mare Crisium, the Sea of Crisis. A good few craterlets there for you Peco.

Mike that whole area around Tycho was my crazy crater moment when I first started observing the sheer number of craters there, it really demonstrates what a beating the moon has taken and how lucky we are to live on this big blue rock now and not a few billion years ago during the bombardment. 

1 hour ago, Planet X said:

Bottom right you have the Montes Alpes mountain range, they are a casting nice shadows which my daughter always refers to as looking like icicles.  Nice pic, what did you use?

Skywatcher 150p 10mm EP canon 1100d. I love taking pictures of the moon to show friends they are really impressed. They should see some of the DSO's on here ?  

Another moon convert ,my main target is the moon it's always around and always gives great views the shadows always get me every time I image and draw ,but just looking at medium power is still a thrill 

pat yy

image.jpeg

On 16/05/2016 at 14:13, Peter Drew said:

I think you might be suffering from the effects of LSD Mike! (Lunar Surface Disorder).   :icon_biggrin:

I think you might be right Peter, or may be i watch too many cartoons. I've attached an enlarged but blurred  image of Popeye smiling out of Wurzelbauer. It's the crater in the top right of the image. It was even more obvious on the evening of the 16th. 

Mike :happy7:

2016-05-16 17.34.50.jpg

My favourite area/object too look at in the moon is rupes recta or commonly known as the straight wall. The crater next to it is called Birt, when i found this out i just had to laugh :DI have a picture but my phone won't allow me to attach the file. 

Archived