Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quark, fast ED and field curvature?

A McEwan

Hi all.

It's been a while, but I've ordered a Chromosphere Quark. I'm looking forward to using it with my ED80 and ED120 scopes, and have ordered the advised UV/IR filter, so am covered.

What I'm interested in though, is wondering about getting a 66mm or 70/72mm f6 ED scope as a combined travel scope and Quark-Full-Disc scope. As I'm still primarily a visual observer, and knowing that these scopes require field flatteners for astrophotography, I'd like to know if the inherent field curvature in fast scopes like these will be a problem for visual observing with the Quark?

I'm thinking in particular about the various INED 70mm scopes, Altair Astro ED 72 f6 ED-R, WO 66mm SD, etc.

Any advice welcome! Thanks,

Ant

Not an expert on such things but I don't think it will be a problem, the actual front aperture of the Quark is pretty small so probably nowhere near the full available field.

I've used mine on a few different refractors and not seen any curvature.

Dave

8 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Hello Ant.  Try posting your query on the "Solarchat" forum, you should get a quick authoratitive reply.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Peter, will do (the layout has changed a bit since my last real visit!!) - edit: oh right, it's a completely different forum?

(Gets "registering-for-another-forum-again" mindset out of the storage cupboard... )

Ant, I used my Quark in a variety of scopes including an f5.9 60mm Tak and a TV85 and did not notice any issues. I am a purely visual observer. I think you will be fine.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Ant, I used my Quark in a variety of scopes including an f5.9 60mm Tak and a TV85 and did not notice any issues. I am a purely visual observer. I think you will be fine.

That sounds great then. Thanks Stu! :)

Good stuff, Ant.

Given your experience with the Lunt, you'll know what you're supposed to get. I hope you get what you want.

Am I right in thinking we corresponded on this subject a while back? Forgive my poor memory.

Yes Gordon, looking back we did indeed, last year! It went on the back burner after that, but now spring has sprung and I took the plunge. 

I won't receive it in time for tomorrow's transit, but that's ok; there'll be plenty other scopes of various types set up at the observatory for viewing it. :)

Archived