Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HELP WITH ENTERING SYNSCAN DATA FOR NEWBEE

EASYLEE

HI ALL

I have an eq5 mount with synscan i have read the manual 50x  and carn,t seem to grasp certain aspects of entering the data on the synscan so if anybody  can help her are my details

1   these are my cordanates

LONG      -1.099624800000015             how do i enter -1.   etc ? i carnt find the - digit...   do i enter long first or lat ?  
LATITUDE  53.298446500000004

my location is worksop notts S80  if anybody need to check thees cordanates  i think they are right from google maps

2 entering time    in worksop notts  +00.00  or - 00.00 then what do i enter in place of the four zeros ?

3  daylight saving  y  or n    ? does this change when we put the clocks back ?

4 after  polar aligning do you move the telescope back so the small circle is back at the bottom in the polar finder before starting the two star alignment or do you leave the polaris star in the small circle at say 3.15 for example and then start a two star alignment ? leaving the telescope pointing in some obscure direction ?

i know these question are probably  stupid but any help would be great..  as my fingers are getting colder every night  and iam getting nowhere

thank you all..

Hi Easylee.  From what I remember your lat log needs to be entered in Degrees, Minutes and Seconds (you have shown it in decimal form) try using this:

Lat   53° **'  N

Long 1° *' **'' W

You can find lat long converters on the net if you need to change it.

For time we are  GMT so select + 00.00 and then daylight saving time (same thing as British Summertime BST);   that puts us on GMT + 1. The daylight saving part will change as you say when the clocks move forward or back.  Remember to have your date in US form.

I think that is right, if not someone else will let us know.

Jim

after  polar aligning do you move the telescope back so the small circle is back at the bottom in the polar finder before starting the two star alignment or do you leave the polaris star in the small circle at say 3.15 for example and then start a two star alignment ? leaving the telescope pointing in some obscure direction ?

Do polar alignment before u do 2 star align. Ideally the counterweights and telescope should be off. Use an app like polarfinder to see where polaris is in the reticule and get polaris into the small circle. Youre done with polar aligning

THANKS  JIM

so its +00.00  at the moment   so i leave the zeros just with a + sign  as is ordo i  enter the time aswell  ?    if i enter the time do i do it in 24 h format ? and its yes for daylight saving ?

thanks again

The +00.00 refers to your world time zone. For the UK then that stays at +00.00 always. At the moment we are BST so when it asks you the question about daylight saving time you should answer Yes. Later, when you start the star alignment routine you put the date in in US format mm.dd.yyyy and the time at your location in 24hr format.

Remember, polar alignment is for your mount, not your telescope. 

Yes as Chris says above you always leave the time zone as 00.00, you need only change from Daylight Saving Time (British Sumner Time) on clock change.  At the moment, as Chris says we are on Daylight Saving Time (you are effectively telling  Syncscan that you are  GMT +1 hour).  I can't remember re time 24 hour format  etc - I think it asks for pm or am does it not?  If there is no PM or AM option then I would use 24 hr format.  Good luck, remember to check the date format is USA form.

Jim

10 minutes ago, saac said:

Yes as Chris says above you always leave the time zone as 00.00, you need only change from Daylight Saving Time (British Sumner Time) on clock change.  At the moment, as Chris says we are on Daylight Saving Time (you are effectively telling  Syncscan that you are  GMT +1 hour).  I can't remember re time 24 hour format  etc - I think it asks for pm or am does it not?  If there is no PM or AM option then I would use 24 hr format.  Good luck, remember to check the date format is USA form.

Jim

thanks jim the date was the only thing i got right and think that was a fluke lol just need a clear sky now !

Your LONG will be 001  06 W,  Lat will be 53  18 N. Watch out that the leading zeros on your LONG comes out right, too eay for it to end up as 106 W, or something else that is 1, 0 and 6.

The "time" you refer to is the timezone, that is 0, may be + or - (mine likes -00 for some reason). When it asks you the time it will likely give a default of 08:00 pm or 20:00, just set it to whatever your watch says. DST is in effect BST and as we are in BST then the answer is Y (for Yes). At one time I think they used "UTC 0" , seems there is a bit of a habit to alter the term used periodically.

As already said Date is US format so MM/DD/YY, get it right as otherwise tonight it will think it is Janurary 5th not May 1st. - lots manage to get it wrong as it is easy to switch back to UK format without realising.

You polar align the mount, forget the scope. Once the mount is aligned leave it. It reads that you are possibly looking through the scope, you shouldn't be. You can take the scope off to perform the polar alignment. You have to seperate polar alignment of the mount from goto alignment of the scope. Again easy to mix the 2 aspects up at first as both use the term "alignment" and both use the term "scope".

6 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The coordinates for the centre of Worksop are 001 07W , 53 19N. Enter all the numbers into the handset in that order and format (use to up/down scroll keys to toggle between E/W and N/S). The time zone is 0 000 and DST is now on (yes).

thats great will enter them on next clear night cheers

Not sure if it has been mentioned but if u have android tablet or phone there is an app called synscaninit that gives you the information to input on the synscan handset.  If that's any help.

13 minutes ago, ronin said:

Your LONG will be 001  06 W,  Lat will be 53  18 N. Watch out that the leading zeros on your LONG comes out right, too eay for it to end up as 106 W, or something else that is 1, 0 and 6.

The "time" you refer to is the timezone, that is 0, may be + or - (mine likes -00 for some reason). When it asks you the time it will likely give a default of 08:00 pm or 20:00, just set it to whatever your watch says. DST is in effect BST and as we are in BST then the answer is Y (for Yes). At one time I think they used "UTC 0" , seems there is a bit of a habit to alter the term used periodically.

As already said Date is US format so MM/DD/YY, get it right as otherwise tonight it will think it is Janurary 5th not May 1st. - lots manage to get it wrong as it is easy to switch back to UK format without realising.

You polar align the mount, forget the scope. Once the mount is aligned leave it. It reads that you are possibly looking through the scope, you shouldn't be. You can take the scope off to perform the polar alignment. You have to seperate polar alignment of the mount from goto alignment of the scope. Again easy to mix the 2 aspects up at first as both use the term "alignment" and both use the term "scope".

thanks for your reply i think iam getting it now !

9 minutes ago, g30rg313 said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned but if u have android tablet or phone there is an app called synscaninit that gives you the information to input on the synscan handset.  If that's any help.

that sounds great i will have a look for it now cheers

should have known there would have bin an app for that lol

hi all and thanks to all the people who helped me with this topic .....i have polar aligned my mout and had    alignment successful  twice, thanks to all for your help with this learning curve..

Good to hear you got it sorted, it can be one of the most frustrating things when you start, still catches me out if I haven't used it for a while.  The app that g30 mentioned looks really good, I've downloaded it for future use. Enjoy your observing.

Jim

Hi, I too benefited from this and other posts, I set my 130p AZ Synscan up for the first time this week under an unusually dreadfully polluted sky but following advice from SGL members and other gazers in similar positions, all went well and aligned first time. Also, I learnt three new stars during the process. Thanks everyone!

Archived