Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter, Ganymedes and Io (barely) with RPi Cam

wimvb

For a while I've been playing with the idea of hooking up a Raspberry Pi camera to my scope. But cloudy nights have stood in the way of this. Besides, I didn't want to waste good clear skies for playing around. So now that nights have become too bright for any decent imaging, I had a go last night.

Conditions this weekend were horrible: clouds, wind, rain, hail and snow all  within two days; but last night there was a clearish patch. Luckily the full moon hadn't made its appearance yet.

So here's a clip of Jupiter with two of its moons Ganymedes and Io (still partly obscured by Jupiter)

vi_0005_20160424_223738.mp4

(BTW, never tried inserting a movie clip before, hope it works)

Raspberry Pi NoIR camera, with SW 150P on EQ3-2 GoTo mount, controlled from my smartphone

Software: RPi_Cam_Web_Interface (http://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface)

Conclusions: unless I find a way to get decent stills from this camera, I will most likely not repeat this experiment.

Thanks!

The camera and software need tweaking in order to get good results, and I'm not sure if I want to invest a lot of time in this. It is a nice little camera, and I may use it as an electronic eyepiece, or mount it to the polar scope to make polar alignment easier (for my back).

Feel free to use it. But the video is MP4, not AVI, so you'll probably only get lossy JPEGs out of it. I also thought of trying other video formats in order to stack, but haven't had the time for that yet. Let me know in this thread if you succeed.

Good luck

Archived