Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 - taken on 19/20th June

Roy Batty

Finally the clouds parted for me late on the 19th :hello1: , not ideal conditions though as the sky didn't seem very dark even at around midnight. I would have liked to have had crack at M27 but this was too low behind my neighbours roofline - so instead M51 seemed well placed and I hadn't tried imaging it before.

I'm pleased with the result considering this is not the best time of year for this type of subject.

Here's the details: Prime focus DSLR, 44 X 1 min subs, no filtering.

cheers

RB

M51 - 19/20th June 2008

6717_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Well ... if I'm to be the first.

Very nice image there, Roy, lots of detail showing and great focus. The spiral arms look a bit subdued on my monitor in what is a fairly bright galaxy after all, but I can see that the detail is there: perhaps you could consider pulling up the curves a bit? Then raise the black point a bit to hide that tiny bit of vignetting? Hope this helps.

[edit] - looking at this image on a different, brighter monitor, the curves seem about right... Nice result!

Roy,

That's a very nice image. There's the clumpy bits visible in the spiral arms and quite a bit of colour variation. The dust lanes also stand out well. I think with another 30mins or so of data you'll have a very special image - though with the less than ideal conditions at this time of the year you've done very well indeed. :grin:

Sam

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've had another play with the processing on this as I think the cores were a bit blown out whilst I was trying to get increased brightness using curves in PS.

It has been cropped more as well, I think I'm happier with it now.

cheers

RB

6724_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I've had another play with the processing on this as I think the cores were a bit blown out whilst I was trying to get increased brightness using curves in PS.

It has been cropped more as well, I think I'm happier with it now.

cheers

RB

Wow :shock: What an improvement. Nice one RB :thumbright:

That's a fantastic picure...

Brendan

I'm a bit limited at the moment regarding sub length as my set up is unguided. I have done 90 second subs on some of my imaging before, but there is a diminishing return as a fair percentage I will reject due to things like wind etc.

I hope to have a guided setup in time for this winter, probably using an SW ED80 piggy backed on my C8-N.

cheers

RB

Archived