Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Protecting PC in an Obs?

Helen

I've now got the PC to go into the obs. I remember seeing someone's pictures where they had built a box for protection of the PC, I think to protect against dew and excess heat/cold. Do I need to do this?

Thanks

Helen

Hot and cold isnt a problem, considering your CPU will be anything from room temp to 60-70 degrees, same as most components in there. Dew is a different matter, but anything you do will disrupt the cooling and the airflow, an airtight box will be no good as the pc will overheat. I dont really know of anyway to protect against dew, and keep the airflow.

Just leave the PC switched ON in standby mode this will be enough to protect it. As long as it is warmer than its surroundings no dew will form. The only danger it is in is from condensation forming on the inside of obs dripping on to it, but being as your obs is wooden and breathable this shouldnt happen.

Thanks guys :salute: good news!

Helen

Ps only concern on getting the PC running last night is that the fan seems quite noisy so may need some sound-proofing (or get a quieter fan fitted) :grin:

Helen, try cleaning the fan in the power supply unit and the one on your CPU, i have found that dust WILL build up on the blades and throw the fan off balance causing vibration and noise. A good clean of the blades and a drop of sewing machine oil on the fan spindle will normally return your fan to quieter operation.

Why not put a 40 watt bulb in the cupboard and leave it on when the obs is not in use.

If the box wher the puter is kept has a door you can close, the bulb will keep the temperature up sufficiently to prevent moisture condensing onto the case.

You could even get away with a 25 Watt lamp.

Worth a try Helen.

Ron. :grin:

Helen, my PCs have lived in my obsy for nearly six years now, and have never encountered any environmental problems.

They are never left switched on.

Like yours, my obs and warm room are of wooden construction, with good ventilation, and as such condensation has never been a issue.

Dave

Archived