Could we see detail on OTHER stars?

Ignoring atmospheric turbulence, could we build a telescope but enough that we could see details on Sirius or other relatively close stars to us? This could do wonders for finding exoplanets but I doubt it's even close to possible. 

At one light year, a star like the sun would be about 0.028 arcsec in size. The nearest sun-like star (alpha Cen) is therefore just 0.0066 arcsec in diameter. That would require a 17.6 m telescope or bigger to resolve at all. The EELT would have a chance, but we would need to remove our atmosphere, and I am rather fond of our atmosphere, so lets not. ;)

Red giants and super giants are many orders of magnitude bigger, and require more modest aperture. Resolving the speck of an earth-sized planet transiting the disk would require a telescope 100 times bigger than the 17.6m cited above

I think Hubble has imaged some structure on the disk of Betelgeuse, but I think most other stars are either too far away or too small. Betelgeuse might be in a "sweet spot" of size / distance. Until it goes "pop" of course!

Apart from a side view of (presumed!) "psychedelic" Jovian Cumulonimbus,
the sight I would "most like to see" is the surface detail on another star. :p

Are the solar features... Sunspots, Prominences, various (convection) cells
paralleled? Are they of the same size or do they "scale" with star size etc?
Such things are modeled now. I sense things could be quite different... :)

1 hour ago, Herzy said:

Ignoring atmospheric turbulence, could we build a telescope but enough that we could see details on Sirius or other relatively close stars to us? This could do wonders for finding exoplanets but I doubt it's even close to possible. 

I think it's possible.  

"He who says he can and he who says he can't are both usually right" - Confucius  

:icon_biggrin:

If you're interested in this as a way to find out what makes a star do what it is, such as why Betelgeuse is a 'red-giant,' one can do this without the need (and expense) to resolve the thing. Enter: Spectroscopy.....

Spectroscopic data will tell us what a given star is creating in it's core by nuclear-fusion. This requires a spectroscope, which can be a very 'super-techie' apparatus costing a bucket of money - or something as simple as a diffraction-grating that can be simply screwed into the base of a threaded eyepiece, easily affordable to most anyone.

Here's a representation of the spectrum of visible-light:

Visible-Spectrum in Nanometers.gif

And I'll leave a sample spectrograph of Vega - a close-by neighbor of us. As regards such in cosmic matters.

Dave

Vega-3C.PNG

Very interesting responses! That picture of Betelgeuse is really cool! I have read a bit about spectroscopy, and I guess it is possible to figure out a whole lot about a star without actually seeing detail on it.

It is an interesting subject? Continuing in [my] above vein it seems there is a Russian APP
"spaceengine" that depicts giant stars as (albeit static) pulsating "monstrous carbuncles". :D

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/22-689-2

Some "lively debate" (interesting too) has ensued as to quite what a giant stars look like.
Opinion seems divided? Convection cells (qv) on other stars can be computer modeled:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap001222.html (The official version!)

As to whether the resultant images/animations depict what one might SEE is less clear? ;)
Some seem to feel there would still be a clearly defined spherical photosphere + spots etc.
Others ideas suggest we'd be looking through "tenuous gases" at a more opaque "core"?

I sense one has to carefully understand what the *professional* images actually depict? :)

Archived